1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total magnetic field from two long parallel wires

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two long, straight, parallel wires, 10.0 cm apart carry equal 4.00-A currents in the same direction, as shown in the figure. ( in the figure the current carrying wires are at the end of a straight 10cm line and they are each in the direction coming out of the page).
    point p is at the center of the 10cm line.
    find the magnetic field at point p2 which is 20cm directly above p
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to do this, for the last problem before this it wanted to know the field 25cm to the right of p, so I used the equation B=[tex]\mu_{0}[/tex]I/(2*pi*r) for each wire and used the right hand rule to determine they were both facing up so I added them. I'm confused on what to do now though.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2
    I figured out to the the right answer you need to do 4*pi*10^-7 * 4 / ( 2*pi *.206) take this answer and multiply by the cos of 14 and multiply that by 2 but I don't get why you would do the cos of 14 and not the sin of 14 can someone explain it to me please
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?