Total momentum operator in peskin/schroeder

In summary, The conversation is about calculating the total momentum operator on page 22 of Peskin/Schroeder. The expression obtained includes a commutator and two extra terms, while the one in the book does not. The commutator is likely dropped and the last two terms may possibly cancel each other out, as they create and annihilate states with opposite momenta.
copernicus1
I'm trying to work out the total momentum operator on page 22 of Peskin/Schroeder for myself, and I'm a little confused about the last few steps.

Assuming I went through the first few steps correctly, I've arrive at this expression:

$${\bf P}=\frac12\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}{\bf p}\left(2a^\dagger_{\bf p}a_{\bf p}+\left[a_{\bf p},a_{\bf p}^\dagger\right]+a_{\bf p}a_{\bf -p}+a^\dagger_{\bf p}a^\dagger_{\bf -p}\right).$$

In the book they end up with

$${\bf P}=\int\frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3}{\bf p}\,a^\dagger_{\bf p}a_{\bf p},$$

so I'm obviously pretty close; I just have a couple extra terms.

I'm assuming the commutator just gets dropped, since it's the infinite term, but do the last two terms somehow cancel? I can see that they create and annihilate the same two states with opposite momenta, but I don't know if it's justifiable to just drop them...

Physics news on Phys.org
Terms like ##p\, a_p a_{-p}## don't contribute to the overall p integral, since they're odd in p.

What is the total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder?

The total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the total momentum of a system. It is represented by the symbol P, and is defined as the sum of the individual momentum operators for each particle in the system.

How is the total momentum operator used in quantum mechanics?

The total momentum operator is used to calculate the total momentum of a system in quantum mechanics. It is an important tool in studying the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level.

What is the equation for the total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder?

The equation for the total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder is P = ∑ pi, where pi represents the momentum operator for each individual particle in the system.

How does the total momentum operator relate to the uncertainty principle?

The total momentum operator is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known, and vice versa. This means that the total momentum of a system cannot be known with absolute certainty.

What other operators are related to the total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder?

Other operators related to the total momentum operator in Peskin/Schroeder include the kinetic energy operator, the angular momentum operator, and the Hamiltonian operator. These operators are used to describe different properties and behaviors of particles in a system.