1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tough Energy problem Law of conservation of energy

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bill throws a 10.0g (0.0100kg) straight down froma height of 2.0m. The ball strikes the floor at a speed of 7.5 m/s.
    a) what was the original speed of the ball?
    b) if 30% of the balls energy is transformed in thermal energy during the collision with the floor, find the new height reached by the ball.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv'^2 + mgh'[/tex]
    [tex] \sum{E} = \sum{E'} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) i solved this fairly easily and got the right answer.

[tex] v = \sqrt{\frac{2\left(\frac{1}{2}mv'^2 - mgh\right)}{m}} [/tex]

v initial = 4.13 m/s

B) this is the toughy...

The answer is supposed to be 2.0 m. i attempted to rearrange the question including the initial kinetic energy + initial potential = end potential and solve for h. but i didnt get it. A friend of mine told me i dont need to include work done by NC forces in this equation. i think i got 1.7m, i know that if i just have initial potential energy = to kinetic energy @ the point of collision.. when losing 30% of energy, it isnt supposed to reach the same height correct? Which leads be to believe that the person throwing the ball supplied the additional 30% energy to return it to the 2.0m height. I don't understand how to mathmatically show how to solve to get h' = 2.0m..

Thanks,
    Senjai

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

I get 2.01 m for (b). I just did
    E = .7*.5*m*v^2 = .7*.5*.01*7.5^2 = .1969 J
    .28125 = mgh

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook