Tough geometry problem about triangles, proof

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a triangle formed by the centers of three equilateral triangles built on each side of a generic triangle is also equilateral. The conversation touches on using congruency of sides or angles, creating a good diagram, and using the properties of equilateral triangles and trigonometry to find relations between sides and angles. The conversation also mentions using cevians and the law of cosines to further prove the triangle's equilaterality.
physics user1

Homework Statement

let be ABC a generic triangle, build on each side of the triangle an equilater triangle, proof that the triangle having as vertices the centers of the equilaters triangles is equilater

Homework Equations

sum of internal angles in a triangle is 180, rules about congruency in triangles

The Attempt at a Solution

i know two ways to demontrate that a triangle is equilater, congruency of the sides or same angles, but i have no clue on how to do it, i didn t found any relation between the triangles, only some opposite angles

Physics news on Phys.org
If you haven't already done so, create a good diagram. Then see what does the center of the equilateral triangles give you regarding properties and see if it's better to work with angles or sides for the requested triangle.

i still can't find a way

By now, I assume you have a good diagram. Now, have you learned about cevians?

I didn't get in deep with the argument, I just know the definition of it, a segment that connects a vertex with the opposite side

@Cozma Alex -- please post your sketch of the problem or your thread will be deleted.

As a suggestion, if you have a smartphone with a camera, you can hand draw a clean well labeled diagram, take a picture and upload the image to this thread.

I got the image of the problem

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-02-12-20-57.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-02-12-20-57.png
    38.7 KB · Views: 448
Since the triangle ABC in the given image of the problem doesn't look generic, and following yours advice I also drawn one by myself

(Sorry for the double posting of the image, it was because of the lag)

I think a way is to use similar triangles and then get to "same angles way"

Attachments

• 20160702_123759.jpg
    20160702_123759.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 424
  • 20160702_123759.jpg
    20160702_123759.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 436
Last edited by a moderator:
Cozma Alex said:
I think a way is to use similar triangles and then get to "same angles way"

Do you know which theorem is this thing you're trying to prove?

Similar triangles leads to equals angles between those triangles

It has a specific name. Anyway, have you learned / studied the properties of equilateral triangles? If not take a look here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilateral_triangle. This is absolutely necessary. Second, do you know the fundamentals of trigonometry ( including law of sines and cosines)? I am asking this, because my hints so far, go towards a geometric direction of the proof involving a little fundamental trigonometry.

Likes physics user1
Yeah I know trig

OK, so I am assuming that you know well both things I pointed out in my previous post. Now, going to your sketch, can you see any way to relate a side of the inner triangle (the one you want to prove equilateral) with some known angles from the outer equilateral triangles? As an extra hint, look at cevians which are among other things, angle bisectors.

I see that every side is opposite to an angle: 60+ angle of the ABC

Side opposite to angle reminds me sine theorem but that works only in the same triangle and those are different

Cozma Alex said:
Side opposite to angle reminds me sine theorem but that works only in the same triangle and those are different

So, you want to find a triangle formed by one side of the inner triangle and two cevians of the outer triangles, in order to have one triangle to work on. Also, what about cosines law as well?

I can find the length of AQ and AS in function of AC and AB and with cosine law find the length of a side of the inner triangle using the angle between AQ and AS is that the way?

Cozma Alex said:
...and with cosine law find the length of a side of the inner triangle using the angle between AQ and AS is that the way?

Yes. Form the law of cosines and see how you can find the length for each side included in the expression, in order to substitute.

Likes physics user1
Ok thanks for your help and patience :)

Cozma Alex said:
Ok thanks for your help and patience :)

You 're welcome. Now, can you see how to proceed further? There are some more steps to do in order to be done.

Likes physics user1
There is still a problem, how can I prove that these relations connecting each side found are the same?

Here are the relations:

Attachments

• 20160702_195344.jpg
    20160702_195344.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 388
Cozma Alex said:
There is still a problem, how can I prove that these relations connecting each side found are the same?

Here are the relations:
Sorry Alex, your image is unreadable. Can you try again, or type your work into the forum window? Thanks.

Here

Attachments

• 20160702_200622.jpg
    20160702_200622.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 396
Cozma Alex said:

Isn't it easier to work with one of them e.g. the first? Try substituting what you previously didn't. Then look at your sketch again. There is one more triangle of interest down the line...

Sorry, I can't find the other triangle of interest :( also what can I do with the first relation?

Cozma Alex said:
Sorry, I can't find the other triangle of interest :( also what can I do with the first relation?

For the second question, is it better to have ## \cos(60 + \alpha) ## or expand it? If you do, you'll have ## \cos ## or ## \sin ## separately. Think about that.
For the first question, you have used the three external equilateral triangles and the inner that you want to prove equilateral. There is exactly one triangle, that you have not used yet.

EDIT: Don't forget your goal. You must somehow end up with a relation that concludes about sides of the inner triangle.

Last edited:
Are you referring to ABC?

Cozma Alex said:
Are you referring to ABC?

That's right. This has an interesting angle regarding your previous calculations and some interesting sides. But what can you do on this triangle? You have again to connect angles with sides, so you know what to do by now. Your goal is substituting things into the first relation you initially wrote. But there is something more, regarding ABC, that you can use.

Likes physics user1
Ok, thanks for the help, I am going to use the sine and the cosine theorem on ABC to find something
I can go alone by now, thanks again for the patience
:)

Likes QuantumQuest

1. What is the definition of a triangle?

A triangle is a three-sided polygon that is formed by connecting three straight lines. It is one of the most basic shapes in geometry and has a total of three angles and three sides.

2. How can I prove that two triangles are congruent?

To prove that two triangles are congruent, you can use various methods such as side-angle-side, angle-side-angle, or side-side-side congruence. This means that the corresponding sides and angles of the two triangles must be equal for them to be considered congruent.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how does it relate to triangles?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is often used to solve problems involving right triangles.

4. How do I find the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where the base is the length of the bottom side of the triangle and the height is a perpendicular line from the base to the opposite vertex. You can also use the Heron's formula if you know the lengths of all three sides of the triangle.

5. Can you give an example of a tough geometry problem about triangles that requires proof?

One example of a tough geometry problem about triangles is the famous "angle trisector problem", which asks if it's possible to construct an angle trisector (a line that divides an angle into three equal parts) using only a straightedge and compass. This problem has been proven impossible to solve using these tools, and a proof for this has been provided by mathematicians.