Toy car conservation of angular momentum

In summary, the question asks for the angular velocity of a 1 kg track with a 60 cm diameter, free to turn on a frictionless, vertical axis, when a 200g toy car is placed on it and reaches a steady speed of .75 m/s relative to the track. The formula for angular velocity is used and after a transformation, the answer is found to be 4 rpm.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A 200g toy car is placed on a narrow 60 cm diameter track with wheel grooves that keep the car going in a circle. The 1 kg. track is free to turn on a frictionless, vertical axis. The spokes have negligible mass. After the car's switch is turned on, it soon reaches a steady speed of .75 m/s relative to the track. What then is the track's angular velocity in rpm?

Homework Equations

L=I*angular velocity
L=mrvsintheta
Moment of Inertia for a hoop: I=MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular momentum of the car and added it with the expression for the angular momentum of the track. The two combined should have a momentum of 0.
(.200kg)(.30m)(.75m/s) + (1kg)(.30m)^2*angular velocity = 0

angular velocity = -.5 rad/s = -4.77 rpm

According to my book the answer is 4 rpm and I was just wondering what I am doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
bcjochim07 said:
(.200kg)(.30m)(.75m/s) + (1kg)(.30m)^2*angular velocity = 0
.75 m/s is the speed of the car with respect to the track, not with respect to the lab frame.

The .75 m/s and the angular velocity you compute from that is relative to the track. The angular velocity of the track you want to compute is relative to the earth. You need to transform the angular velocity of the car to the non-rotating frame.

Ok, I see. Can you help me with that transformation? Relative velocity is one of those things that makes a little uncomfortable. Would you just subtract the velocity of the car relative to the track from the answer that I got up above?

Try this:
speed of car w.r.t ground = speed of car w.r.t track + speed of track w.r.t ground

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How does a toy car demonstrate conservation of angular momentum?

A toy car rolling on a flat surface will maintain a constant angular momentum as long as there are no external torques acting on it. This means that if the car's moment of inertia decreases (e.g. by pulling in its arms), its angular velocity will increase, and vice versa.

3. What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum in a toy car?

The main factors that affect the conservation of angular momentum in a toy car are its moment of inertia, angular velocity, and any external torques acting on it. Other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

4. Can the conservation of angular momentum be violated?

No, according to the law of conservation of angular momentum, the total angular momentum of a system must remain constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that angular momentum cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between objects.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum related to Newton's laws of motion?

The law of conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia. This law states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a toy car, the external force would be an external torque that causes a change in its angular momentum.