Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tragically extinct modern animals

1. Apr 3, 2009 #1

djeitnstine

Gold Member

It is no secret that many species are endangered and some are probably becoming extinct as we speak. Here are some that were photographed before their demise.

http://ecoworldly.com/2009/04/02/11-extinct-animals-that-have-been-photographed-alive/ [Broken]

When will we be satisfied? When every species besides our own is gone? Then someone will turn around and say "oh we should have listened =("

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

99.9% of all species are extinct.

Assuming this is true (I'm always suspicious of round numbers with factors of 10x) does it matter? Does number of species count or number of individuals?
    Does the type of animal matter? There are more species of arthropod in a couple of trees in a rain forest than there are species of mammals. Are a 100species of beetle being extinct the same as a 100 species of mammal or do only cuddly animals count?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  4. Apr 3, 2009 #3
    I always feel disconnected from fossils and avoid them whenever I am not in a museum or gas station. But ah, the experience of seeing a photograph of an animal on the brink of extinction. Nothing beats it. Every weekend my buddies and I go out into the woods with guns, cameras, and high hopes.

5. Apr 3, 2009 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apart from the big animals obviously being an indicator of the health of an ecosystem, when I heard this question asked by sceptical biologists the expert answer was that the big animals often play a key role in the maintenance of the whole system ("keystone species") but hopefully we shall hear from an expert.

6. Apr 3, 2009 #5

djeitnstine

Gold Member

From elementary biology, remember that any one species going extinct throws any ecosystem it resides in out of wack. Of course one or 2 species not in any direct connection of humans going extinct really matters to us. But for every species extinct, another is being endangered from natural predators etc...eventually the chain will hit closer to home.

I'm no eco nut but, i just think the death of any entire species is one step closer to the endangerment of our own...somehow.

7. Apr 3, 2009 #6
    You're doing accounting on only one side of the ledger. When a species becomes extinct, its niche becomes available to another. The system has extinction built into it.

8. Apr 3, 2009 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is always my issue with people worrying about species becoming extinct. How many new species are there? People like to call them "previously undiscovered" when they discover a new one, but they do find them. And an awful lot of species went extinct long before humans factored into the equation...just visit any natural history museum for examples from the fossil record. If extinctions are happening due to human intervention, and it throws off the ecosystem too much, then eventually humans will become the extinct species. I have confidence that the planet will continue moving forward with or without us.

9. Apr 3, 2009 #8
    That the Syrian Wild *** disappeared is a tragedy.

edit
    Apparently, this is taboo in here...
    Even in [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] mode : [itex]\text{Syrian Wild ***}[/itex]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  10. Apr 3, 2009 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...the Syrian Wild what, humanino... :tongue2:?

11. Apr 3, 2009 #10
    [itex]\mathnormal{The}\text{ }\mathnormal{Syrian}\text{ }\mathnormal{Wild}\text{ }\mathnormal{A}\text{}\mathnormal{s}\text{}\mathnormal{s}[/itex] :biggrin:
    nice...
    [itex]\mathrm{The}\text{ }\mathrm{Syrian}\text{ }\mathrm{Wild}\text{ }\mathrm{A}\text{}\mathrm{s}\text{}\mathrm{s}[/itex]
    Where are the moderators ? :surprised

12. Apr 3, 2009 #11
    The Syrian Wild Ass
    The Syrian Wild Ass

13. Apr 3, 2009 #12
    Why do I always come up with solutions which are neither simple nor effective... :frown:
    Hey NeoDevin, where do you plan to go during the banning period awaiting us ?

14. Apr 4, 2009 #13
    I don't know, maybe I'll have time to make a website like I've been planning to do for a while.

15. Apr 4, 2009 #14
    Contrary to most new age crap an ecosystem is not a perfectly balanced and pristine landscape save for the intervention of humans. Its is naturally chaotic and ever changing otherwise it would have died out long ago and Earth would look alot more like Mars right now.

16. Apr 4, 2009 #15

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Agreed. I like the idea that humans should preserve species (to better serve human needs, natch), but the preservation itself is unnatural! (Of course, we're failing at that aim regardless...)

17. Apr 4, 2009 #16
    New age? That old stuff? Isn't this standard fare in kindergarden through highschool?

18. Apr 4, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, new age; you know, like the warnings about DDT, dioxins, mercury, and lead.

Just listen to Rush sometime. He'll tell you all about it.

19. Apr 4, 2009 #18
    Do you ever make any sense? What are you talking about.

20. Apr 4, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was alluding to the fact that anytime we have concerns about evironmental issues, it is dismissed by people like Limbaugh as new-age mumbo jumbo.

The dangers of DDT, dioxins, mercury, and lead, were all once political issues, like species preservation is today. I can still remember people complaining about taking the lead out of [not adding] paint and gasoline! They too blamed the new-age mumbo jumbo [by whatever names were popular then...probably labled as "tree-hugger" or "hippy" issues]. It seems hard to believe now, but it's true. In fact to this day you can find people who complain about unleaded gasoline.

A book called Silent Spring, which was about the ravages of DDT, is [generally considered to be] what started the modern environmental movement. A point to note: The environmental movement was started by a biologist - Rachel Carson - not "hippies".

The world grows increasingly complex, but the nay-sayers just keep singing the same dead song. It is a mentality of simple denial.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  21. Apr 4, 2009 #20
    Guilt by association.

I forget what this one's called. They laughed at Einstein too, so I must be right. Something like that.

Somebody said "no" in the past and they were wrong. You are saying "no" now, so you must be wrong. You have a mentality of denial. I think this one has a name too, but I forget it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook