Train travelling uphill at s.7s degree incline, find friction coefficient

In summary, the last car in a train traveling at 3.73 degree incline falls off the track and comes to a rest after 5.909 seconds.
MaggieNF

Homework Statement

A train is traveling at 3.73 degree incline at a speed of 3.25 m/s, when the last car breaks free and begins to coast without friction.

(i) How long does it take for the last car to come to rest momentarily?
(ii) How far did the last car travel before (momentarily) coming to rest?
(iii)For a real train the friction between the car and the track can be described by a friction coefficient. Find this coefficient assuming that the time it takes for the car to come to rest is 3s.

Homework Equations

v=u + at
v^2=u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) u=3.25 m/s
v=0m/s
s= ?
t= looking for..
a=9.8sin3.25= -0.55 m/sec^2

t= v-u/a
t= 0-3.25 / -0.55 = 5.909 seconds

(ii) u=3.25 m/s
v=0m/s
s= looking for..
t= 5.909 seconds
a=9.8sin3.25= -0.55 m/sec^2

s= v^2 -u^2 / 2a
s= 0^2 - 3.25^2 / 2(-0.55) = 9.602 metres

I haven't a clue about the third part. can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the expression for frictional force in terms of the coefficient of friction? You can use the fact that the rate of change of momentum is equal to the force applied to obtain the coefficient.

I'm afraid i don't. I'm new to physics and just need to pass it for an exam so i don't have much of a grasp of it

The frictional force is given by [itex]\mu N[/itex], where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force between the surface and body. If you draw a free body diagram of the coach, you should see that [itex]N=mgcos(\theta)[/itex] where m is the mass of the coach and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle of inclination of the incline. Can you write the change in momentum?

nope.. I'm hopeless

What is the momentum when the coach breaks free from the train? What is the momentum when it is momentarily at rest?

momentum is mass multiplied by the velocity.. there would be no momentum if its at rest, and 3.25 multiplied by the mass when it breaks free?

Right. So the rate of change is momentum is the difference of momentum divided by the time takes (3 s). Equate that to the frictional force to obtain the coefficient.

If you find this too tricky, another way would be to use the frictional force formula I showed you to get the deceleration, which you can plug in your normal equation (v=u+at, with v=final velocity=0 m/s, u=initial velocity and t=3s, and a=the acceleration you get from the frictional force)

Last edited:
ok... got it but does it matter that i don't actually have the mass?

The mass will cancel.

that is perfect.. i get it now.. thank you so so much :D

1. What is the formula for finding the friction coefficient when a train is travelling uphill at a 7 degree incline?

The formula for finding the friction coefficient in this scenario is: μ = tan(θ) where μ is the coefficient of friction and θ is the angle of incline.

2. What is the significance of finding the friction coefficient in this situation?

The friction coefficient is important because it represents the amount of resistance the train experiences as it travels uphill. This value is necessary for calculating the train's overall performance and determining if adjustments need to be made to improve efficiency.

3. Is the friction coefficient the only factor affecting a train's performance when travelling uphill?

No, there are other factors such as the weight of the train, the engine power, and the grade of the track that can also impact the train's performance. However, the friction coefficient is a crucial factor in determining the overall force needed to move the train uphill.

4. How can the friction coefficient be measured in a real-world scenario?

The friction coefficient can be measured by using a device called a tribometer, which measures the frictional force between two surfaces. In the case of a train travelling uphill, the tribometer would be placed between the train's wheels and the track to measure the friction force.

5. Does the friction coefficient change if the train is travelling downhill instead of uphill?

Yes, the friction coefficient may change slightly depending on the direction of travel as other factors such as gravity and momentum come into play. However, the change is usually minimal and the same formula can be used to calculate the coefficient in both scenarios.