Coefficient of kinetic friction?

In summary, The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the inclined surface is 0.360. This was determined by using the equations -f-mgsin(theta)=ma_x and N-mgcos(theta)=0 and substituting in the given values for mass, inclination angle, and displacement. The calculated value for uk was found to be (max+mgsin(theta))/(-mgcos(theta)), resulting in a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.360. This was confirmed by double checking the calculation using a calculator.
juju1

Homework Statement

A 2.79-kg block is placed on a rough surface inclined at 28.1°. The block is launched at a speed of 3.87 m/s up the incline, and comes to rest after sliding 0.969 m up the incline.

Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
II drew a diagram first, used a coordinate system with the x axis pointed up the slope and the y axis perpendicular to the slope. Got equations in both the X and Y direction.
x: -f-mgsin(theta)=ma_x
y: N-mgcos(theta)=0

But now I'm confused of what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the forces are constant, the acceleration is constant. Do you know any equations for constant acceleration that might help determine the value of ax?

Can you state a relevant equation that relates f and N?

(Your F = ma equations for x and y look good.)

v^2=v0^2+2a(delta x)?

i don't know how to write equations on here..ahaha.

f = coefficient of u_k N
and N is equal to mgcos(theta)

OK. So far, looks good. Go for it.

i got 1.42..which seems really large for coefficient of kinetic friction

juju1 said:
i got 1.42..which seems really large for coefficient of kinetic friction
Should ax be a positive number or a negative number when you substitute it into your x equation?

i got ax to be negative

juju1 said:
i got ax to be negative
Good. Can you type out the steps of your calculation of f using your x equation. I suspect you are making a sign error.

x= -f-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukN-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukmgcos(theta)-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukmgcos(theta)=ma+mgsin(theta)

uk=(max+mgsin(theta))/(-mgcos(theta)

juju1 said:
x= -f-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukN-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukmgcos(theta)-mgsin(theta)=max

-ukmgcos(theta)=ma+mgsin(theta)

uk=(max+mgsin(theta))/(-mgcos(theta)
That all looks good. Plug in the numbers, being careful with the signs, and see what you get.

-0.462 ?

juju1 said:

Homework Statement

A 2.79-kg block is placed on a rough surface inclined at 28.1°. The block is launched at a speed of 3.87 m/s up the incline, and comes to rest after sliding 0.969 m up the incline.

Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
II drew a diagram first, used a coordinate system with the x axis pointed up the slope and the y axis perpendicular to the slope. Got equations in both the X and Y direction.
x: -f-mgsin(theta)=ma_x
y: N-mgcos(theta)=0

But now I'm confused of what to do...
You can also solve this problem by applying work energy theorem easily

Likes TSny
juju1 said:
-0.462 ?
No. The coefficient should be positive (and I don't believe it is 0.462).

Can you show the last equation in your post #10 with all the numbers plugged in? Don't forget that g represents the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity and so g is a positive number.

( (2.79 x -7.73) + (2.79 x 9.8 x sin(28.1) ) / -(2.79 x 9.8 cos(28.1)

juju1 said:
( (2.79 x -7.73) + (2.79 x 9.8 x sin(28.1) ) / -(2.79 x 9.8 cos(28.1)
That all looks good. Are you still getting the same answer as you got before?

Yes.. :(

I get an answer that is less than 0.4 when I use my calculator to evaluate your expression in post #16. Make sure your calculator is in "degree mode" rather than "radian mode".

What do you get for the overall numerator? For the denominator?

My calculator was in radians...ahah! I got 0.360 :-)

Thank you very much for your help!

OK. That looks right. Good work!

Abhishek kumar said:
You can also solve this problem by applying work energy theorem easily

I don't think the work energy principle is what is being taught here. It's just kinematics and forces, and in this situation the easiest.

1. What is the definition of coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when they are moving relative to each other. It is represented by the Greek letter "μ" and is a unitless value.

2. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction different from the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is the measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces when they are stationary and not moving relative to each other. The coefficient of kinetic friction, on the other hand, is the measure of friction when the surfaces are in motion.

3. What factors affect the value of the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The value of the coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the nature of the two surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the surfaces.

4. How is the coefficient of kinetic friction used in scientific experiments?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is often used in experiments to study the effects of friction on objects in motion. It can also be used to determine the force needed to keep an object moving at a constant speed, or to calculate the work done by friction on an object.

5. How can the coefficient of kinetic friction be reduced?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be reduced by changing the surface materials to ones that have lower coefficients of friction, or by adding a lubricant between the surfaces to reduce the amount of friction. Additionally, reducing the roughness of the surfaces can also decrease the coefficient of kinetic friction.