1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trajectory of projectile with friction in air

1. Jun 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a hw prob, its just something I was trying out.

To find the equation of the path of the projectile when air friction is considered.

2. Relevant equations

F=-bv, where v is a vector.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let the projectile be launched with a velocity [tex]v=v_{0x}i+ v_{0y}j+v_{0z}k[/tex];

Velocity after a time t is: [tex] v(t)=\frac{mv_{0x}}{m+bt}i + \frac{(v_{0y}-gt)m}{m+bt}j + \frac{mv_{0z}}{m+bt}k[/tex]. Integration of this expression wrt t, would give you the path of the projectile... right?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2007 #2
    i don't know how you got your function but i know mass usually cancels out

if you treat friction as a constant force, independent of velocity and time, though i'm pretty friction force in a fluid is not independent of velocity, you just get the regular position function in each component with an acceleration because

[tex]a_x,z(t)=-k [/tex] and in the x direction you just get a bigger acceleration [tex] a_y(t)=-k+-g [/tex] k and g being both constants you would just get another constant acceleration, bigger.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  4. Jun 4, 2007 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I think at higher speeds it is proportional to the square of the speed.

5. Jun 4, 2007 #4
    im bad at this so i would like to test my grasp as well

[tex]

a_x(t)=k(\frac{dx}{dt})^2[/tex]
    [tex]
    \frac{d^2(x)}{dt^2}=k(\frac{dx}{dt})^2

[/tex]

?? would this be the correct equation for acceleration for the x component?
    i will try solving the DE if this is correct

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  6. Jun 5, 2007 #5
    Err... ok, I took friction to be -bv (vector), so the acceleration in the x and z directions worked out to be [tex]\frac{-b}{m}v_z[/tex]. Since the velocity would change with time as:

[tex]v_z=v_{0z}-\frac{b}{m}v_zt[/tex], this would give [tex]v_z[/tex] to be:

[tex]\frac{mv_{0z}}{m+bt}[/tex], where the mass does cancel out dimensionally. Integration of this expression gives a logarithmic function... so, is this right?

7. Jun 5, 2007 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The air resistance, [tex]R[/tex], opposes the velocity of the projectile.

The angle of attack, [tex]\theta[/tex], of the projectile changes in its trajectory.

By resolving in the x - and y directions we get that

[tex]m\ddot{x} = - R \cos(\theta)[/tex]

and

[tex]m\ddot{y} = - R \sin(\theta) - mg[/tex]

we can rewrite the sine and cosine terms as

[tex]\cos(\theta) = \frac{\dot{x}}{v}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sin(\theta) = \frac{\dot{y}}{v}[/tex]

leading to

[tex]\ddot{x} = -a\dot{x}v}[/tex]

and

[tex]\ddot{y} = -a\dot{y}v} - g[/tex]

An "easier" approach is to rather resolve along the tangential and normal directions to the trajectory - which leads to the equation of the hodograph.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007
  8. Jun 5, 2007 #7
    Yeah, thats exactly what I've done... just used pure vectors in 3D instead of resolving the force...

9. Jun 6, 2007 #8

andrevdh

Homework Helper

I've burned myself once before with this 3D vector stuff, so I would rather keep to what I know - resolving the force components and setting up the equations of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?