"Trajectory" question for my novel

• Thread starter msjhord
  • Start date
msjhord
I am in the midst of penning a novel and need help with a physical analogy. I've scoured google for an answer and, perhaps because I have a headache right now, my eyeballs are swimming. So, I figured I should come here and ask.

An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory. That trajectory is interrupted by an event (in this case, a workplace shooting). In physics terms, what would that event be? Or should I find a different analogy?

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
Welcome to the PF.

You could call it a "perturbation" of the trajectory, although I'm not sure that's a soft enough word for a novel...

Borek
Mentor
Collision.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with physics.

msjhord
@Orodruin, perhaps not. But objects on trajectories are a PHYSICS thing, right? I just want to make sure I'm using the correct terminology since my narrator is a pediatrician. As a person of science, she would use the correct term. Plus, I don't want physics folk to read this years from now and snicker at my incorrect term use.

berkeman
Mentor
Sorry, but your question has nothing to do with physics.
Thread moved to the General Discussion forum. :smile:

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
But objects on trajectories are a PHYSICS thing, right?
Yes, but a carreer is not a physical object that follows a trajectory. The colloquial use of the word is more loose.

msjhord
(holds her head, mutters 'oy vey') Yeah, I know. It's just a comparison between the physical and figurative.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm with Borek. Collision sounds good to me.

berkeman
Mentor
An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory. That trajectory is interrupted by an event (in this case, a workplace shooting). In physics terms, what would that event be? Or should I find a different analogy?
If the event ends up changing the trajectory of their career, you could call it a "deflection"...

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
trajectory is interrupted by an event
"Interruption."

msjhord
It's more of a terminal thing. Her career is on a path. The event happens and she abandons the path to take up another.

msjhord
Thank you

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Most of those should be perfectly viable.
These synonyms are good, but not all of them, thud e.g., are within OP's constraint of "physics terms."

msjhord
Yeah, I want a physics term, but not one that is so far beyond an elementary understanding of it. Most people don't want to have dictionary.com pulled up while they're reading a book. I happen to be one of the few who doesn't mind because I love learning new words.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
It's more of a terminal thing. Her career is on a path. The event happens and she abandons the path to take up another.
Disruption

msjhord
Oooh, I think I like that one.

berkeman
Mentor
@phinds is often a disruption... :biggrin:

Likes Bystander and phinds
msjhord
I appreciate this help. I'm 41 years old and have an Associates in Business Administration that, working as a cashier for this country's largest retailer (no, not Amazon, though I wish), I never use. Because I discovered, after ten years of office work that I HATE it. So, when I'm not working and being wife and mom, I am either sleeping, reading, or writing. I have never taken a physics course in my life, unless ninth grade physical science counts. I understand some of the principles, but a lot of it sails RIGHT over my head or makes my eyes glaze over.

An object (in this case, a person's career) is on a trajectory.
As written, this isn't a good metaphor. A trajectory is just an arc of some kind. The person's career could be following an upward trajectory (which I think is what you're trying to convey), or it could be on a downward trajectory, due to one or more events in the person's life.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
These synonyms are good, but not all of them, thud e.g., are within OP's constraint of "physics terms."

Isn't 'thud' the 13th derivative of 'slam'?