Transfats vs. monounsaturated fats

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: Thanks!From a human nutrition course I took. Supposedly when unsaturated fats are broken down for energy, it requires more ATP to power all the enzymes then a saturated fat due to the double covalent bond located along the fatty acid chain. Since fats provide the same overall energy but it takes more atp to break down unsaturated fats, the body receives less net energy from unsaturated fats.This is something I understood - - at least at a simple conceptual level. But I llike being being shown where I'm wrong. So if someone can set me straight, please do. Thanks!In summary, monounsaturated fats are considered healthy because they have a double covalent bond some where along the fatty
gravenewworld
with all the health advisories against consuming transfats, how can monounsaturated fats be good for you then? I would think that monounsaturated fats would be mixutures of cis and trans isomers, this cis being the healthy version. So why are foods that are rich in monounsaturated fats still considered as being healthy? do foods that are labeled as containing monounsaturated fats only have the cis isomer of the unsaturated fat?

Biology news on Phys.org
Because most fats are cis and not trans...

also, unsaturated fat is more healthier than saturated fat...

Revenged said:
Because most fats are cis and not trans...

so if monounsaturated fats are mostly cis, why is there a preference for nature to produce cis fats instead of the trans version?

also, unsaturated fat is more healthier than saturated fat...

yes i know.

gravenewworld said:
so if monounsaturated fats are mostly cis, why is there a preference for nature to produce cis fats instead of the trans version?
Most likely because cis (c-shape) is a more efficient geometry to stack together than trans (s-shape) to form complex molecules--see here for one explanation:
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2006-02/1139385004.Bc.r.html

It all comes down to how much energy the body can derive from the fat molecule. Our body is able to derive more net energy from saturated fats then monounsaturated fats. This is due to monunsaturated fats having a double covalent bond some where along the fatty acid chain that saturated fats don't have. Saturated fats contain fatty acid chains that contain only single covalent bonds, which makes it easier for our body to break down. Trans fats are unsaturated but there chemical structure makes these fats behave more like saturated fats than like unsaturated fats. When you are trying to lose weight obviously you would want less energy from fats, hence monounsaturated fats are better for consumption.

Last edited:
Where did you get that information, that saturated fats are more fattening and thus unhealthy?

It all comes down to the melting point of saturated vs unsaturated fatty acids. Unsaturated fats are more liquid at body temperature and thus are less likely to deposit on your arterial walls etc.

Monique said:
Where did you get that information, that saturated fats are more fattening and thus unhealthy?

It all comes down to the melting point of saturated vs unsaturated fatty acids. Unsaturated fats are more liquid at body temperature and thus are less likely to deposit on your arterial walls etc.

From a human nutrition course I took. Supposedly when unsaturated fats are broken down for energy, it requires more ATP to power all the enzymes then a saturated fat due to the double covalent bond located along the fatty acid chain. Since fats provide the same overall energy but it takes more atp to break down unsaturated fats, the body receives less net energy from unsaturated fats.

I must be really out to a saturated fat lunch! My layman's understanding is that i) unsaturated fats are easier to break down because the double bonds are more fragile than single bonds, and ii) cholesterol acts as a detergent to help break fatty chains down into more digestible bits. Therefore saturated fats, being more stable, cause the body to produce more cholesterol, some of which ends up in the arteries.
I thought this was something I understood - - at least at a simple conceptual level. But I llike being being shown where I'm wrong. So if someone can set me straight, please do.

1. What are transfats and monounsaturated fats?

Transfats and monounsaturated fats are types of dietary fat that are found in various foods. Transfats are created through a process called hydrogenation, which involves adding hydrogen to liquid vegetable oils to make them more solid. Monounsaturated fats are found in foods like avocados, olive oil, and nuts.

2. What is the difference between transfats and monounsaturated fats?

The main difference between transfats and monounsaturated fats is their chemical structure. Transfats have a trans double bond in their structure, while monounsaturated fats have a single double bond. This difference affects how the fats are metabolized in the body and their impact on health.

3. Are transfats or monounsaturated fats healthier?

Monounsaturated fats are generally considered healthier than transfats. Transfats have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease and other health issues, while monounsaturated fats have been associated with a lower risk of heart disease and improved cholesterol levels.

4. In which foods can I find transfats and monounsaturated fats?

Transfats can be found in processed and fried foods, such as cookies, crackers, and French fries. Monounsaturated fats can be found in plant-based foods like avocados, olives, nuts, and vegetable oils like olive oil and canola oil.

5. Should I completely avoid transfats and only consume monounsaturated fats?

It is recommended to limit your intake of transfats as much as possible, as they have been linked to negative health effects. However, it is not necessary to completely eliminate them from your diet. Monounsaturated fats should be the primary source of dietary fat, but some saturated and polyunsaturated fats are also important for overall health. Moderation and balance are key when it comes to dietary fat intake.