1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transferring Question Regarding Major

1. Mar 12, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I attended college for two years at a large state university. In my fifth semester, due to financial complications, mid-semester I was forced to return home and get a full-time job.

I'm looking to apply to another institution as a transfer student. I've earned mostly A's, took honors classes, and was a member of the honor society. For my freshman and sophomore years I was on the physics "track"; taking up to differential equations in math and up to (so-called) modern physics. However, after some thinking, I've decided physics isn't the right major for me.

Most of the transfer applications ask you to choose a major. So, since I'm no longer interested in pursuing physics, should I pick another major in which I'm interested? There are two potential problems that I see with this: 1. Lower my chance of acceptance 2. Lower the number of scholarships I may receive.

Anyone have any thoughts on / experience with this?

Thanks.

PS. I don't want to go into detail regarding why I'm not sticking with physics, even after all my success with it. This post isn't about that.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2014 #2
    I'm basically asking if I should apply for the physics major, then change to something else, or cut the middleman out and apply directly to my desired major.

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    I highly doubt it will be an issue. Go ahead and apply for the major that you want. Clearly you've proven that you can succeed.

5. Mar 13, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Transfer credit policies are probably different at different schools. For what it's worth, here's what we do. Department chairman evaluate individual courses for transfer credit, based on the official course description from the originating college's web site. They can choose:

• Credit for specific courses in their department. This applies regardless of the student's intended major. How applicable the credit is, depends on the student's major.
    • "Major elective credit": the student can apply these courses towards a major in that department, as part of their elective courses for that major. If he doesn't major in that department, he gets "general elective credit" as defined below.
    • "General elective credit": the student can apply these courses to the hours needed for graduation, regardless of their major; but they do not apply specifically towards a major in that department.

6. Mar 13, 2014 #5
    Thanks for the input; it means a lot. Anyone other opinions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook