1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transform vector to Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    i need help transforming this equation into cylindrical coordinates...

w = omega
    i = i hat
    j = j hat
    k = k hat
    r is a vector

r(t) = Asin(wt)i + Bsin(wt)j + (Ct - D)k where w, A, B, C and D are constants.

i, j, and k are throwing me off...i know they are components of x, y and z...and i know xhat = cos(phi ro{hat}) - sin(phi phi{hat} likewise for yhat swapping sin and cos...

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HI ph351, welcome to PF!:smile:

The [itex]\mathbf{\hat{i}}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{j}}[/itex], and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{k}}[/itex] are just another way of writing [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/itex], [itex]\mathbf{\hat{y}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]. Different authors use different notations, and it is usually a good idea to familiarize yourself with the notation of a text before attempting to solve problems from it, or apply equation found in it. Other common notations for the Cartesian unit vectors are [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_x,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_y,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_z\}[/itex] and [itex]\{\mathbf{\hat{e}}_1,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_2,\mathbf{\hat{e}}_3\}[/itex].

So basically, you have [itex]\textbf{r}(t)=A\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{x}}+B\sin(\omega t)\mathbf{\hat{y}}+(Ct-D)\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/itex]...and you can just make your substitutions for [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{y}}[/itex] in cylindrical coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook