Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation matrix on tensors

1. Jul 25, 2009 #1
    Hello.

I wasn't sure whether to post this here on in some of the physics sections.

I have a rank 2 tensor in one coordinate reference system [x1, x2, x3], the one where only the principal elements are non zero: R=[ a11 0 0; 0 a22 0; 0 0 a33 ].

I want the tensor R in some other orthogonal coordinate reference system. I have the transformation matrix U from the system [x1, x2, x3] to the second one [X1, X2, X3].

I know how to use U to transform vectors from one system to the other:

[V1; V2; V3]= U [v1; v2; v3]

But I don't know what operation to do to transform a tensor. I'm led to believe that it could be something like

[R(in Xi)] = U^-1 R(in xi) U

But I'm not sure whether this is right nor what's the rationale for it.

I would appreciate any help you could give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Same thing. Think of the tensor and transformation as matrices and multiply the matrices.

4. Jul 25, 2009 #3
    In addition, even if the tensor was not representable as a matrix (two dimensional rectangular array of numbers), you still have the functional representation, T(v) is a multilinear map from some space V to some space W, and you have linear maps C and C' from V to V' and W to W' respectively, where V' and W' are identical to V and W except for the coordinate maps for their elements. Then C'(T(C-1v)) is T with the coordinate change applied, as T can only act on objects in V and transforms them to W objects. The C's take care of translating the objects from V' and into W', where if v is a multivector, the linear transformations are distributed appropriately. By linearity, we have C'TC-1 as the proper tensor, as you have already surmised.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook