1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformation of a vector operator

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the result of the transformation of the vector operator [tex] \hat{V_{y}} [/tex] by rotation [tex] \hat{R_{x}} [/tex] around an angle [tex] \alpha [/tex].

2. Relevant equations

I believe that [tex] \hat{R_{x}} = \begin{pmatrix} 1& 0& 0\\ 0& cos\alpha & -sin\alpha \\ 0 & sin\alpha & cos\alpha \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Not sure if the fact that it is an operator makes any difference here...

3. The attempt at a solution

So at first glance it seems that the solution should be something like the calculation of [tex] \hat{V_y} \hat{R_x} [/tex], however I am not sure since they are operators. If this is correct then would the solution be calculated by using arbitrary components of [tex] \hat{V_y} [/tex]? If this is completely wrong, what is a better way to look at this problem?

Thank you for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Let's start with a more basic question: given a rotation

[tex]R_{x} = \begin{pmatrix} 1& 0& 0\\ 0& cos\alpha & -sin\alpha \\ 0 & sin\alpha & cos\alpha \end{pmatrix},[/tex]

what is the corresponding operator [itex]\hat{R_{x}}[/itex] that acts on states (kets or wave functions)?

4. Sep 26, 2013 #3
    I guess that is what I am most confused about here. Is how does [tex] R_x [/tex] come correspond to [tex] \hat{R_x} [/tex].

So some thing like this: [tex] V_i \to R_{ij} V_j [/tex]

If I had to make an educated guess here I would say it would transform on the ket [tex] \mid \psi \rangle [/tex] in this way: [tex] \langle \psi \mid V_i \mid \psi \rangle \to R_{ij} \langle \psi \mid V_j \mid \psi \rangle [/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted