Transformations of energy in oscillatory motion

In summary, the potential energy of a mass attached to a string in vertical motion is given by 1/2 kA^2 and 1/2 mV^2, as shown in the first link provided. However, in the student's book, it is mentioned that the potential energy of gravity also changes, which is not explicitly included in the equations. This may be because the standard derivation for mass-on-a-spring simple harmonic motion assumes no external forces besides the spring, so in real life, the effects of gravity should be taken into account. This can be done by using a free-body diagram and making the near-Earth approximation for gravitational potential energy and force. Alternatively, it can also be derived using Newton's laws,
mcaay

Homework Statement

I thought that in the situation where mass is attached to the string and put into motion (vertically), energy goes between 1/2 kA^2 and 1/2 mV^2 like here - http://imgur.com/RU4P6UW

However in student's book I saw the table, which said that potential energy of gravity is also changing, which is logical, but I didn't see it included in equations anywhere for above situation.

For example here it isn't included: http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/SHO/mass.html

Homework Equations

Does it mean that 1/2 kA^2 already covers potential energy of gravity? I can't see any other explanation that would work, but I don't understand why would that be, because 1/2 kA^2 is supposed to be potential energy of oscillatory motion, and in horizontal situation equations are the same without any change in potential energy of gravity.

Maybe the equations are incomplete? If that's the case, then how should they look like?

The Attempt at a Solution

(1st link)

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard derivation for mass-on-a-spring SHM assumes no gravity, or friction, or any other forces besides the spring.
The spring is also modeled as an ideal massless spring that always obeys Hook's law.
IRL you need to account for these things.

You can use a free-body diagram to help you see what the equation's look like if you include gravity...
You may want to make the near-Earth approximation for gravitational potential energy and force and take care to pick a suitable position for zero potential energy.
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfadd/1150/15Period/Vert.html

Achh! I think I got it! I had calculus physics quite a while ago, and your clue about free-body diagram reminded me that work done is just integral of force over distance. In this situation force of gravity F = mg just changes equilibrium position, and the net force is still F = kx, where x is the distance from new equilibrium position. Given that, integral of force over distance results in the same gains of potential energy 1/2 kx^2, so it is all ok :)

Did I got it correctly?

Pretty much - you can also do it from Newton's laws:

If you measure position down from the attachment point ...
- when the spring is not stretched the mass is at position ##y=u##
- when at equilibrium, the mass is lower down at ##y=e##
- stretch the spring to ##y=y_0> e## and let it go ... at ##t>0##, ##y(t)## satisfies:
##mg-k(y-u) = m\ddot y## (1)

But the equilibrium position is determined by ##k(e-u)=mg \implies ku = ke-mg## ... substitute into (1) above to give:
##-k(y-e)=m\ddot y## (2)

which is the same equation as you get for the horizontal mass and spring, with e replacing u.
The solution looks like: ##y(t) = e + (y_0-e)\cos\omega t##

1. How does energy change in oscillatory motion?

In oscillatory motion, energy changes between potential energy and kinetic energy. As an object moves from its equilibrium position, it gains kinetic energy and loses potential energy. As it reaches its maximum displacement, it has the most kinetic energy and the least potential energy. As it moves back towards the equilibrium position, the opposite occurs and it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy. This cycle continues as long as the oscillations continue.

2. What is the role of energy in oscillatory motion?

Energy is essential in oscillatory motion as it is what allows an object to continue oscillating. Without energy, the object would eventually come to a stop at its equilibrium position and not be able to move back and forth. In addition, energy is also responsible for the amplitude and frequency of the oscillations, as well as the type of motion (e.g. simple harmonic motion, damped oscillations, etc.).

3. How does damping affect the energy in oscillatory motion?

Damping, or the reduction of the amplitude of oscillations over time, causes energy to be lost in oscillatory motion. This energy is usually dissipated as heat or sound. As the amplitude decreases, the object has less potential and kinetic energy, and eventually, the oscillations will come to a stop when all the energy has been dissipated.

4. Can energy be converted from one form to another in oscillatory motion?

Yes, energy can be converted from potential energy to kinetic energy and vice versa in oscillatory motion. This conversion occurs continuously as the object oscillates back and forth. However, the total amount of energy in the system remains constant, as stated by the law of conservation of energy.

5. How can we calculate the energy in oscillatory motion?

The total energy in oscillatory motion can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2kA^2, where E is the total energy, k is the spring constant, and A is the amplitude of oscillations. This equation takes into account both potential and kinetic energy. Additionally, the energy at any point in the oscillation can be calculated using the equations for potential and kinetic energy separately.