1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transformer, AC Source, and a Battery

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using an AC signal generator vs, a transformer with turns ratio n = 1, and a battery VB, sketch a circuit that will generate the output signal vout = vs + VB

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \frac{V_2}{V_1} = \frac{N_2}{N_1} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    N9ZY6l.jpg

Here's my sketch, but I feel like I'm missing something conceptually. Because if this were the case, couldn't the battery be on the bottom wire since we're dealing with an AC signal source?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine to me. The battery can go in either the bottom or top leg of the secondary. It will still add a DC offset to the output.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Thank you for your help! It just seemed too easy!

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You are welcome.

One of the things that makes this work in this example, is that the internal resistance of an ideal voltage source is zero. So putting the DC voltage source in series with the transformer does nothing but add an offset voltage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook