Transformer notation confusion?

In summary, when conducting an open circuit test and short circuit test on a transformer, the primary and secondary ratings can be determined by analyzing the schematic and number of wires coming out of the transformer. If there are two coils with equal numbers of turns, the transformer can be used with two different input voltages by wiring the coils in series or parallel. The output rating can then be determined based on the specified primary and secondary voltages.
rock.freak667
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

For a transformer, I need to get the ratings on the meters (wattmeter, ammeter, voltmeter) when it is put through an open circuit test and a short circuit test.

Primary 240/480
Secondary 120/240

1KVA

60Hz

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I am not sure what is meant by 'Primary 240/480' and 'Secondary 120/240'. In most transformer problems, I would be told something like 6600/230 V transformer, meaning Primary = 6600 V and secondary = 230 V.

Anyone care to guess what it means?

Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of http://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=3868&c=ACCT126831&h=9037aabf87bb8934b400&_xt=.pdf" (which I have worked with) the primary is actually two separate windings, which may be wired either in series or in parallel.

Each winding is to get the lower voltage of the two indicated primary specifications; when wired in series, the series combination would then get twice this voltage, or the higher primary specification.

Similarly, the secondary consists of two separate windings which may be combined either in series or in parallel.

If this is the case for your transformer, you should have 4 input wires and 4 output wires.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sort of confuses me more, as then it seems as if the 240/480 side is itself like a transformer with a primary side of 240V and a secondary side of 480 V?

If that is the case, then there is no need to really consider the 240 V?

Otherwise, I am not sure how I would get the ratings for the OC and SC tests with the configuration.

rock.freak667 said:
That sort of confuses me more, as then it seems as if the 240/480 side is itself like a transformer with a primary side of 240V and a secondary side of 480 V?
No, the primary side consists of two coils with equal numbers of turns. The purpose of having two coils is that the transformer could be used with two different input voltages. Did you see the schematic at the lower left of the .pdf file I linked to before? If the input is the higher voltage, the primary coils should be wired in series; if the input is the lower voltage, they get wired in parallel.

How many wires are coming out of your transformer? If my explanation was correct, there should be 8 wires.

Redbelly98 said:
No, the primary side consists of two coils with equal numbers of turns. The purpose of having two coils is that the transformer could be used with two different input voltages. Did you see the schematic at the lower left of the .pdf file I linked to before? If the input is the higher voltage, the primary coils should be wired in series; if the input is the lower voltage, they get wired in parallel.

I understand a bit better now.

Redbelly98 said:
How many wires are coming out of your transformer? If my explanation was correct, there should be 8 wires.

Well you see right, I don't have a picture of the transformer per se. It is sort of a lab thing I have to do and I was asked to give the ratings. The most I can get is the schematic of how the usual transformer looks during the OC and SC tests, not with the two coils in series/parallel.EDIT: So that means I don't really need to bother about the two voltages and just use the transformer as if it were specified as 480 (primary) and 240 (secondary)?

Last edited:

1. What is transformer notation confusion?

Transformer notation confusion refers to the common confusion and misunderstanding surrounding the various notations used to represent transformers in scientific and engineering contexts. This can include the use of different symbols, subscripts, and conventions for representing the same physical quantities associated with transformers.

2. Why is transformer notation confusion important to address?

Transformer notation confusion can lead to misinterpretation of data and errors in calculations and designs. It is important to address in order to ensure accurate and consistent communication among scientists and engineers in the field of electrical engineering.

3. What are the different types of transformer notation?

The two most commonly used types of transformer notation are the dot notation and the arrow notation. The dot notation places a dot at the end of the transformer symbol to indicate the polarity of the winding, while the arrow notation uses arrows to indicate the direction of current flow.

4. How can transformer notation confusion be avoided?

One way to avoid transformer notation confusion is to clearly define and consistently use a specific notation in all calculations, designs, and discussions regarding transformers. It is also important to clarify any notation used when communicating with others to ensure mutual understanding.

5. Are there any standardized notations for transformers?

While there are some commonly used notations in the field of electrical engineering, there is no one standardized notation for transformers. Different industries and organizations may have their own preferred notation conventions. It is important to be aware of these variations and to clarify any notation used in a specific context.