Transforming a Rubber Band into a Trefoil Knot

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Very cool video!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive :-p Still cool though.
 
micromass said:
Very cool video!

However, using a knife to cut the band is a bit cheating, so it becomes a bit less impressive :-p Still cool though.

True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.
 
jedishrfu said:
True, I liked the thinking outside the box even though we knew this trick from the mobius strip. I also liked how he compared the real to the math to show how one allows it but the other doesn't.

That's not strictly true. The math allows for a torus to be made into a trefoil knot, which is what he did. It's a lesson in choosing mathematical models carefully. Still, it was a very cool video; I think I'll make one for myself.