Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential Energy Stored in latex rubber

1. Dec 8, 2015 #1
    I am looking for a simple number which is the potential energy that can be stored in rubber. ( Joules per gram or something similar ) I know there are a number of forms of rubber and I keep reading numerous articles on how to calculate the energy content of a rubber band.
    Can anyone just tell me the number for typical rubber available commercially ??
    I am building a rubber band "vehicle" and I am starting off with a test bed of one band approx 3m long made up of say 50 strands which will run as a model airplane would but driving the rear wheel. I can pretty much work out frictional losses through the drive system and what horsepower I need to get up to certain speeds but before I run the test vehicle on the road I would be interested to compare the theoretical number against that actually achieved.
    There must also be a optimum diameter for the band itself expressed as a ratio to the length which I am trying to find out from the modelling world but if anyone has that number I would be grateful to hear it.

Thanks
    Simon

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2
    You can just measure it.
    If you know the force F (weight), and the change in length x, you can compute the Hooke's constant k.
    F = -kx

From there you can compute energy: E = 0.5*kx^2

Energy per mass is just E/m. If you want a maximum, hang more and more weight from a rubber band, until it breaks.
    Hope this helps.

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3
    Rubber typically doesn't follow Hooke's law. The observed rheological behavior of rubber is highly non-linear. You need to read some papers on the theory of rubber elasticity. Google Mooney-Rivlin equation.

Chet

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    It might not be linear, but you might be able to approximate. Plot weight vs stretch distance.

6. Dec 20, 2015 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Don't use rubber bands. Google FAI competition rubber as used for model aircraft. Ditto lubricant. As i recall rubber improves as it is "run in".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook