Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transgenic Mice Models and Integration of DNA

1. Jun 18, 2015 #1
    I have no experience working with mice models, but why, for example, in pronuclear injection (or even other methods of transgenesis), is the injected gene of interest randomly integrated? In other words, why would the integration site of the DNA not be known or in a targeted region?

I apologize if this is a simple question or if this is misworded. I appreciate any references that you have to offer regarding this.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2015 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Yes, the DNA is randomly integrated into the genome. The mechanism of how this occurs is not well understood, and there may be a preference for the DNA to "land" in certain spots in the genome, but it is not the case that the gene lands in a predetermined spot in many of these cases.

There are some methods, however, based on homologous recombination that allow targeted insertion of transgenes at particular locations in the genome. New CRISPR-Cas9 methods, in particular, seem to be a nice way of making precise edits to the genome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook