Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Transition Matrix and Ordered Bases

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    Let B and C be ordered bases for ℝn. Let P be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in B and let Q be the matrix whose columns are the vectors in C. Prove that the transition matrix from B to C equals Q-1P.

I am stuck. Here is what I have.

I know that if B is the standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in C 2nd vector in C ........... nth vector in C]-1.

Also, if C is a standard basis in ℝn, then the transition matrix from B to C is given by [1st vector in B 2 vector in B ......... nth vector in B].

Since I konw what the transition matrix is from B to C given different standard bases, I am having a difficult time relating this to teh columns of each.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're going to need a notation for the basis vectors. I suggest
    \begin{align} B&=\{e_1,\dots,e_n\}\\
    C &=\{f_1,\dots,f_n\}
    \end{align} How do you define the transition matrix from B to C? Is it the M defined by
    $$f_i=\sum_j M_{ij} e_j$$ or the M defined by
    $$f_i=Me_i=\sum_j (Me_i)_j e_j=\sum_j M_{ji} e_j?$$ (The latter M is the transpose of the former). You want to prove that (with one of these choices of M), we have ##M=Q^{-1}P##. This is equivalent to ##QM=P##, which is equivalent to ##P_{ij}=(QM)_{ij}=##what? Use the definition of matrix multiplication to rewrite ##(QM)_{ij}##. Then you can start thinking about rows and columns.

4. Apr 15, 2013 #3
    Im confused with the notation of the matrix. How do you rewrite the rows and columns

5. Apr 15, 2013 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure if you're asking about what I did or about the problem.

One notation that can be useful is to denote the number on row i, column j of a matrix A by ##A^i_j## instead of ##A_{ij}##. Then you can just denote the ith row by ##A^i##.

So for example, we have ##P_i=e_i## for all i.

6. Apr 16, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If we have basis [itex]\{u_1, u_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, u_n\}[/itex] for vector space U, then we can represent a vector [itex]u= a_1u_1+ a_2u_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_nu_n[/itex] as the array [itex]\left<a_1, a_2, \cdot\cdot\cdot, a_n\right>[/itex].
    In particular the basis vectors themselves are very easy:
    [itex]u_1= \left< 1, 0, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 0\right>[/itex]
    [itex]u_2= \left<0, 1, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 0\right>[/itex]
    ... [itex]u_n= \left<0, 0, \cdot\cdot\cdot, 1\right>[/itex]
    Now, look at what when you multiply each of those, written as a column by a matrix:
    Multiplying [itex]u_1[/itex] gives just the first column, multiplying [itex]u_2[/itex] gives the second column, etc.
    Example:
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}a_{11} & a_{12} & a_{13} \\ a_{21} & a_{22} & a_{23} \\ a_{31} & a_{32} & a_{33}\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 1 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a_{12} \\ a_{22} \\ a_{32}\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    which will then be the coefficients of the expansion of Au in whatever basis we are using for the range space. That is, to represent linear transformation A from U to V, using a given ordered basis for each, apply A to each basis vector for U in turn, writing the result as a linear combination of the basis vectors for V. The coefficients of that linear combination will be the columns of the matrix representation.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook