Transition Moments and Selection Rules

In summary, the conversation discussed allowed transitions for IR spectroscopy using PIB wavefunctions. It was noted that the integral value never reaches zero for transitions, but a negative sign does not necessarily indicate emission. The definition of an electric-dipole forbidden transition was also mentioned, as well as the possibility of other processes with smaller transition rates. It was also mentioned that μ=x2 does not represent a dipole moment and therefore cannot determine allowed or forbidden transitions. Lastly, the conversation touched on the transitions possible for a particle in a box, even when using μ=x.
Rambro323
My instructor was talking about allowed transitions for IR spectroscopy and how you can predict them relatively well using PIB wavefunctions. It was stated that you could solve for the probability of a transition moment to determine if a transition is forbidden or not.

<μ>=∫ΨfμΨidτ where μ=x

So for fun I plugged in μ=x2 and started getting alternating negative and positive, whose absolute values decreased as the difference between i and f increased. The integral value never reached zero.

I'm mostly wondering what a negative transition moment means, my gut tells me emission. And can there be any transitions which are forbidden if the integral value is never zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rambro323 said:
My instructor was talking about allowed transitions for IR spectroscopy and how you can predict them relatively well using PIB wavefunctions.
The harmonic oscillator is generally speaking a better model.

Rambro323 said:
So for fun I plugged in μ=x2
Note that this not represent a dipole moment, so you have to be careful not to carry any interpretation too far.

Rambro323 said:
I'm mostly wondering what a negative transition moment means, my gut tells me emission.
The sign depends on a purely arbitray choice of phase or orientation of the coordinate system. It has nothing to do with emission. The transition rate is proportional to ##|\langle\mu\rangle|^2##.

Rambro323 said:
And can there be any transitions which are forbidden if the integral value is never zero?
The definition of an electric-dipole forbidden transition is one for which ##|\langle\mu\rangle|^2 = 0##, otherwise it is allowed. There can be other processes (electric quadrupole, magnetic dipole, etc.) that allow for transitions, but the corresponding transition rates are generally orders of magnitude smaller, and can be neglected when doing ordinary IR spectroscopy.

Thank you!

I didn't use harmonic oscillator mostly because I didn't want to deal with its wavefunctions cause that would have taken me more time. So then that means that all transitions are allowed for particle in a box when μ=x2 until |μ|2 gets arbitrarily close to zero. Kind of weird.

Rambro323 said:
So then that means that all transitions are allowed for particle in a box when μ=x2 until |μ|2 gets arbitrarily close to zero. Kind of weird.
As I said previously, μ=x2 does not correspond to a dipole moment, therefore you cannot conclude anything about allowed or forbidden transitions.

Rambro323 said:
So then that means that all transitions are allowed for particle in a box when μ=x2 until |μ|2 gets arbitrarily close to zero. Kind of weird.

At least, now I know what you meant with PIB wavefunctions.
For a particle in a box, even if you take mu=x, you at least get transitions between all even and odd eigenfunctions. However, the size of the matrix elements decays rapidly with the difference of quantum numbers.

1. What are transition moments and why are they important in scientific research?

Transition moments refer to the changes in energy and angular momentum that occur during a transition between two states in a molecule or atom. They are important because they provide information about the structure, bonding, and electronic properties of a material, which is crucial for understanding its behavior and properties.

2. How are transition moments calculated and what factors influence their values?

Transition moments can be calculated using quantum mechanics equations such as the time-dependent Schrödinger equation. The values of transition moments are influenced by the electronic configurations, symmetry of the molecule, and the energy gap between the two states involved in the transition.

3. What are selection rules and how do they determine the allowed transitions?

Selection rules are a set of quantum mechanical rules that determine which transitions are allowed and which are forbidden. They are based on the conservation of energy, angular momentum, and parity. The allowed transitions must obey these rules, while the forbidden transitions violate them.

4. How are transition moments and selection rules used in spectroscopy?

Transition moments and selection rules are used in spectroscopy to interpret the spectra of atoms and molecules. By studying the allowed and forbidden transitions, scientists can determine the energy levels and electronic configurations of a material, as well as its molecular structure and properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of transition moments and selection rules?

Transition moments and selection rules have numerous applications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and biophysics. They are used in the development of new materials, understanding the mechanisms of chemical reactions, and studying the electronic properties of biological molecules. They also play a crucial role in the design and development of advanced technologies such as lasers, solar cells, and sensors.