• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Transmission Coefficient through a delta potential

• Thread starter Kidiz
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Consider an uni-dimensional scattering by a delta function at the origin, given by the potential ##V(x) = g \delta(x)##, with ##g>0##.

Using the following result, with ##G(x)## being the green function:

$$\Psi (x) = e^{ikx} + g \dfrac{2m}{\hbar}\dfrac{G(x)}{1-2mgG(0)/\hbar^2} = e^{ikx} + g \dfrac{2m}{\hbar 2ik}\dfrac{e^{ikx}}{1-2mgG(0)/\hbar^2}$$

Find the transmission coefficient through the potential.

Homework Equations

$$T = \dfrac{J_t}{J_i}$$

$$J=\dfrac{\hbar}{2mi}(\Psi^\star\dfrac{d\Psi}{dx} - \Psi \dfrac{d \Psi ^\star}{dx})$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know I am supposed to use the equations I wrote above, but I don't know what I should consider as the ##\Psi_i## and ##\Psi_t##. Any help in that regard?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
The i means incident, and the t means transmitted, right? What's the physical situation in this problem? The incident wave is coming toward the potential from one side, and the transmitted wave is the part that gets through. Which side is the the incident wave coming from?

The i means incident, and the t means transmitted, right? What's the physical situation in this problem? The incident wave is coming toward the potential from one side, and the transmitted wave is the part that gets through. Which side is the the incident wave coming from?
I forgot to mention that ##G(x) = \dfrac{1}{2ik}e^{ikx}##

You're correct, ##i## means incident and ##t## means transmitted. I don't know how to answer your other queries though. I do not know what's the physical situation in this problem, but I suppose you're right in saying that a wave is coming from one side and gets transmitted and reflected. Again, there's no info about the physical situation, but I'm gonna say that the wave comes from the left (##x<0##) and gets transmitted (##x>0##).