Trials and Tribulations of a Physicist who Became a Math Geek - Comments

In summary, this essay covers how the author's experiences with math led them to appreciate and appreciate math more. They describe how math can be mysterious and seem to come out of nowhere, and how this can lead to test anxiety. They go on to say that this is something that can be overcome with practice and that anyone can learn to do math well, no matter how they have done it in the past.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Dr. Courtney submitted a new PF Insights post

Trials and Tribulations of a Physicist who Became a Math Geek

physicsturnedmath-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes KiggenPig
Physics news on Phys.org
Great Insight! No doubt math is critical for many science professions and that we need a math teaching revolution at our early education years.

Likes bhobba and Dr. Courtney
Great write up.

It was the opposite for me.

I loved math from the start and majored in applied math,

Later I became interested in physics and marvelled at the explanatory power of math. One that really got to me was the derivation of the Lorentz Transformations from symmetry:
http://www2.physics.umd.edu/~yakovenk/teaching/Lorentz.pdf

You get the feeling its pulled out of the air, but really a close examination shows there are assumptions being made - its just for some reason when using math they are so natural you miss it. Math is strange like that.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Dr. Courtney and Greg Bernhardt
Thanks for taking the time to write and share this, Dr. Courtney.

Likes Dr. Courtney
Very fine piece of work... commendable !

This is very much the position I am in. I've always had a strong interest in science, especially physics, but I thought I'd never be able to study it above the level of semi-popular accounts. I wasn't good at math all through school, (even though I did have a vague interest in it) to the point I thought I was *unable* to learn it.

The irony is, I took honors-level science classes a year ahead of schedule, but I was always a year *behind* schedule in math. The process of trying to do math in school was so tortuous, I thought I was only a "word" person who happened to love science, because reading and writing came effortlessly to me, whereas math didn't. Math was the only subject in which I've ever had test anxiety.

Later experience, after I became an adult, forced me to try different approaches to teaching myself, ultimately proving that I could learn to do math well, just not the way it was taught in school. Now, I have the chance to study physics, and I'm even working at learning how to write proofs.

Likes bhobba and Dr. Courtney
ComplexVar89 said:
This is very much the position I am in. I've always had a strong interest in science, especially physics, but I thought I'd never be able to study it above the level of semi-popular accounts. I wasn't good at math all through school, (even though I did have a vague interest in it) to the point I thought I was *unable* to learn it.

The irony is, I took honors-level science classes a year ahead of schedule, but I was always a year *behind* schedule in math. The process of trying to do math in school was so tortuous, I thought I was only a "word" person who happened to love science, because reading and writing came effortlessly to me, whereas math didn't. Math was the only subject in which I've ever had test anxiety.

Later experience, after I became an adult, forced me to try different approaches to teaching myself, ultimately proving that I could learn to do math well, just not the way it was taught in school. Now, I have the chance to study physics, and I'm even working at learning how to write proofs.

Keep up the good work!

Likes bhobba

1. What inspired you to become a physicist and then a math geek?

I have always been fascinated by the mysteries of the universe and how it operates. This led me to pursue a career in physics. As I delved deeper into the subject, I realized the importance of mathematics in understanding and explaining the complex phenomena of physics. This sparked my interest in mathematics and eventually led me to become a math geek.

2. What are some challenges you faced in your journey as a physicist and math geek?

One of the biggest challenges I faced was the steep learning curve in both fields. Physics and mathematics require a lot of dedication and hard work to grasp the concepts and theories. Additionally, there is a constant need to stay updated with the latest research and advancements in these fields.

3. How do you balance your passion for physics and mathematics with your personal life?

It can be challenging to balance my passion for physics and mathematics with my personal life, but I make sure to prioritize and manage my time efficiently. I also try to find a balance by incorporating my interests into my personal life, such as reading books on physics and attending math conferences with friends.

4. What advice do you have for aspiring physicists and math geeks?

My advice would be to never stop learning and exploring. Both physics and mathematics are ever-evolving fields, and there is always something new to discover. Also, do not be afraid to ask questions and seek help when needed. Collaboration and communication are crucial in these fields.

5. How has your background in physics helped your understanding of mathematics, and vice versa?

My background in physics has helped me understand the practical applications and real-life implications of mathematical concepts. On the other hand, my understanding of mathematics has allowed me to approach physics problems from a more analytical and logical perspective, making problem-solving more efficient and effective.