Resources for High School Math at Home - Comments

In summary, In summary, the book Math on Call is a great resource for high school math homework, and Life of Fred is a popular secular homeschool book with some religious content that is often used for high school math.
Dr. Courtney
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Dr. Courtney submitted a new PF Insights post

Resources for High School Math at Home

mathresources.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I have found the book Math on Call to be a great, inexpensive reference for helping with high school math homework.

You left out Art of Problem Solving, an incomparable resource used by pretty much all the top math contest kids nowadays. Admitted useful mostly to kids who love math and are good at it, but if you're in that cohort it's the best.

My experience with ALEKS was years ago, but at that time it was useless for anything other than determining what you knew, at a fairly cursory level. There was little in the way of teaching, and certainly nothing that would enable you to understand the material. Basically just automated worksheets. Has it gotten better in some important ways? If so, how?

Oh, I should also mention that Life of Fred seems to be very popular on the secular homeschool lists I frequent, despite having some lightweight (as I understand it) religious content. I don't know why. I've never looked at it.

otto9K9otto said:
I have found the book Math on Call to be a great, inexpensive reference for helping with high school math homework.

Thanks for the tip.

IGU said:
You left out Art of Problem Solving, an incomparable resource used by pretty much all the top math contest kids nowadays. Admitted useful mostly to kids who love math and are good at it, but if you're in that cohort it's the best.

Good point. I focused my article on the college prep sequence, but this book is a valuable resource for a lot of the material in the contest situations that isn't given much attention in the normal college prep material. The kind of thinking emphasized in the book is very valuable.

IGU said:
My experience with ALEKS was years ago, but at that time it was useless for anything other than determining what you knew, at a fairly cursory level. There was little in the way of teaching, and certainly nothing that would enable you to understand the material. Basically just automated worksheets. Has it gotten better in some important ways? If so, how?

There is an "Explain" button which will bring up a detailed explanation of problems a student does not already know how to do. It is along the lines of the "step by step" solution button available in Wolfram Alpha Pro, but the ALEKS "Explain" feature is (in most cases) a bit better in that it takes some time to categorize the problem and give a bit of the necessary more general background rather than just jumping into the "step by step" part of it.

I guess I could have also mentioned Wolfram Alpha Pro, but I prefer not to, since it's not really intended for that role and is commonly used (in my experience) as much or more in cheating as in learning. Even if students are authorized to use it, they often present the Wolfram Alpha (with or without Pro) solution as their own without proper attribution. It can be very valuable though for students who get the hang of asking Wolfram Alpha to work a close analog to the given problem and then work the assigned problem on their own. But Wolfram Alpha Pro is certainly a great tool to supplement just about any book if it can be used for learning instead of cheating.

ALEKS doesn't give a solution for the exact problem the student needs to work. Depending on the context, it demonstrates either a close analog, or after it demonstrates a solution for the exact problem, it changes the problem the student needs to work to a close analog.

IGU said:
Oh, I should also mention that Life of Fred seems to be very popular on the secular homeschool lists I frequent, despite having some lightweight (as I understand it) religious content. I don't know why. I've never looked at it.

Thanks for mentioning Life of Fred. It does come up a lot in the home school groups I hang out in. But I have no experience with it or with students who used it for high school math, at least that I know of. There are probably at least a dozen book-based high school curricula I could have mentioned but refrained from due to a lack of info. Most on line reviews and the marketing materials really don't tell, they just try to sell.

In my view, the big weakness in most book based programs when administered by adults who don't actually understand the material (and are not willing or able to learn it), is that it is difficult for these adults to provide the needed assessment and accountability. Making use of answers in the back is very limited for those who can't understand for certain whether those answers are right and who cannot explain to a student where they may have gone wrong when they obtain different answers.

Students are pretty adept at fooling parents when the best parents can do is ask "did you do the practice work?" and "Can you show it to me?" Many purported efforts at completing math assignments are little more than copied answers from the back with (when required) medicore attempts at a snow job showing the work to justify the answer. Real assessment and accountability requires the human teacher grading written work to be able to distinguish the snow job from legitimate work.

Last edited:
IGU said:

Let me add that Art of Problem solving now has a fairly complete (relating to high school math) accredited online school.

See: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/school

This looks to be a fabulous resource for parents unable to provide expert instruction or qualified accountability themselves.

Very interesting article

1. What types of resources are available for high school math at home?

There are a variety of resources available for high school math at home, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and educational videos.

2. How can I find resources specifically for my child's grade level?

You can search for resources by grade level on educational websites or consult with your child's teacher for recommendations.

3. Are there any free resources for high school math at home?

Yes, there are many free resources available online such as Khan Academy, MathisFun, and educational YouTube channels.

4. Can I use these resources to supplement my child's schoolwork?

Absolutely! These resources can be great supplements to your child's schoolwork and help reinforce their understanding of math concepts.

5. Are there any interactive resources for high school math at home?

Yes, there are many interactive resources available, such as educational games and online simulations, that can make learning math more engaging and fun.