1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights How to Study Mathematics - Comments

1. Nov 17, 2015 #1

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2015 #2

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Superb write-up and gave me some excellent tips. Thanks.

4. Nov 17, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Thanks a lot! :oops: If you're interested in me writing about other specific topics, let me know!

5. Nov 18, 2015 #4
    Thanks very much. Lovely Insight and terribly useful too! Now to go apply this stuff!

6. Nov 18, 2015 #5
    very helpful indeed :)

7. Nov 18, 2015 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, what an unexpected topic, yet very useful. I imagine that most of us who self study do so without any advice at all. Thank you.

I am a fan of Leonard Susskind's video lectures on physics. But I note, that after viewing all 160 lectures, I have trouble remembering what was said in the earliest ones; so I repeat them all over and over again. Very enjoyable. But in one of the very first lectures, Susskind identifies his target students; very senior technical people who are in a big hurry to understand concepts in the little time remaining to them. That describes me very well. :-) I don't need the maturity in learning.

8. Nov 19, 2015 #7
    Thank you so much :)

9. Dec 8, 2015 #8

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Perhaps probability and statistics? I am becoming very interested!

10. Dec 8, 2015 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, I will write on that. But perhaps I can already give a quick recommendation to you already? What is your math background?

11. Dec 8, 2015 #10

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

B.S. Electrical Engineering, focused on DSP. I have taken a couple courses in probability, but nothing in statistics. I am familiar with Markov chains, and Kalman filtering for example, but not in Z-score. (I have only heard the term). Probability is more interesting to me than statistics, but statistics is becoming more and more required for my work.

(by the way you participated in a thread I created about p-values very recently, thank you for your input)

12. Dec 8, 2015 #11

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, then you might want to have a look at this online statistics site: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/ It is basically an online textbook on probability and statistics and one of the best resources I have ever encountered. There are many helpful data sets and simulations. A possible downside: it is quite mathematical in nature, in the sense that everything is derived rigorously from its beginning. This makes the text long and perhaps difficult.

As an (easier) alternative, consider Wasserman's "All of statistics". It contains a surprising amount of information on statistics and it is all explained very well.

13. Mar 5, 2016 #12
    Nice post. But shouldn't one be familiar with the proofs before solving the exercises?

14. Mar 5, 2016 #13

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, but in my opinion, struggling with the exercises before reading the proofs motivates the proofs a lot. You won't be able to solve most exercises without reading the chapter in detail, but that is not the point. The point is to try and become familiar with the problems. Then the proofs and theorems will look way more useful and motivated.

15. Dec 18, 2016 #14
    I sure wished I had these hints and kinks when I was an instructor. Very good indeed!

Regards,
    ES

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted