How to Study Mathematics - Comments

In summary: This was really helpful!In summary, this post provides helpful advice for people who want to learn more about mathematics. It discusses the importance of having a math background, and provides two recommended resources.
micromass
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
micromass submitted a new PF Insights post

How to Study Mathematics

studymath1-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes DeBangis21, EnricoHendro, FallenApple and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Superb write-up and gave me some excellent tips. Thanks.

RJLiberator said:

Thanks a lot! :oops: If you're interested in me writing about other specific topics, let me know!

Likes RJLiberator
Thanks very much. Lovely Insight and terribly useful too! Now to go apply this stuff!

very helpful indeed :)

Wow, what an unexpected topic, yet very useful. I imagine that most of us who self study do so without any advice at all. Thank you.

I am a fan of Leonard Susskind's video lectures on physics. But I note, that after viewing all 160 lectures, I have trouble remembering what was said in the earliest ones; so I repeat them all over and over again. Very enjoyable. But in one of the very first lectures, Susskind identifies his target students; very senior technical people who are in a big hurry to understand concepts in the little time remaining to them. That describes me very well. :-) I don't need the maturity in learning.

Thank you so much :)

micromass said:
RJLiberator said:

Thanks a lot! :oops: If you're interested in me writing about other specific topics, let me know!
Perhaps probability and statistics? I am becoming very interested!

ElijahRockers said:
Perhaps probability and statistics? I am becoming very interested!

OK, I will write on that. But perhaps I can already give a quick recommendation to you already? What is your math background?

micromass said:
OK, I will write on that. But perhaps I can already give a quick recommendation to you already? What is your math background?

B.S. Electrical Engineering, focused on DSP. I have taken a couple courses in probability, but nothing in statistics. I am familiar with Markov chains, and Kalman filtering for example, but not in Z-score. (I have only heard the term). Probability is more interesting to me than statistics, but statistics is becoming more and more required for my work.

(by the way you participated in a thread I created about p-values very recently, thank you for your input)

ElijahRockers said:
B.S. Electrical Engineering, focused on DSP. I have taken a couple courses in probability, but nothing in statistics. I am familiar with Markov chains, and Kalman filtering for example, but not in Z-score. (I have only heard the term). Probability is more interesting to me than statistics, but statistics is becoming more and more required for my work.

(by the way you participated in a thread I created about p-values very recently, thank you for your input)

OK, then you might want to have a look at this online statistics site: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/ It is basically an online textbook on probability and statistics and one of the best resources I have ever encountered. There are many helpful data sets and simulations. A possible downside: it is quite mathematical in nature, in the sense that everything is derived rigorously from its beginning. This makes the text long and perhaps difficult.

As an (easier) alternative, consider Wasserman's "All of statistics". It contains a surprising amount of information on statistics and it is all explained very well.

Likes ElijahRockers
Nice post. But shouldn't one be familiar with the proofs before solving the exercises?

Sure, but in my opinion, struggling with the exercises before reading the proofs motivates the proofs a lot. You won't be able to solve most exercises without reading the chapter in detail, but that is not the point. The point is to try and become familiar with the problems. Then the proofs and theorems will look way more useful and motivated.

Likes PhDeezNutz, EnricoHendro and jordi
I sure wished I had these hints and kinks when I was an instructor. Very good indeed!Regards,
ES

Thank you very much.

1. How do I stay motivated while studying math?

Staying motivated while studying math can be challenging, but here are a few tips that can help:

• Set achievable goals for yourself.
  • Find a study group or a study partner.
  • Take breaks to avoid burnout.
  • Connect the material to real-life examples.
  • Reward yourself for your progress.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in math?

Improving your problem-solving skills in math takes practice and patience. Here are some strategies you can try:

• Understand the problem by reading it carefully and identifying key information.
  • Break the problem into smaller, more manageable parts.
  • Try different approaches and techniques.
  • Check your work and try again if needed.
  • Practice regularly to build your skills.

3. Is it better to study math alone or with others?

This ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Some people prefer studying alone, while others find it helpful to have a study partner or join a study group. It can also be beneficial to have a mix of both individual and group study sessions. Experiment to see what works best for you.

4. How often should I study math?

Consistency is key when it comes to studying math. It's better to study for shorter periods of time more frequently, rather than trying to cram everything in one long session. Aim to study for at least 20-30 minutes every day, and increase the duration as needed.

5. What resources can I use to supplement my math studies?

There are many resources available to help supplement your math studies. Some popular options include:

• Online tutorials and videos
  • Textbooks and workbooks
  • Practice problems and worksheets
  • Flashcards and study guides
  • Tutoring services or study groups
Choose the resources that best fit your learning style and needs.