Trig Identity - Never Seen This Before

In summary, a trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved and shows a relationship between different trigonometric functions. To prove a trigonometric identity, one must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities. Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities. Trigonometric identities are useful in simplifying and solving trigonometric equations, as well as in graphing and analyzing trigonometric functions. Strategies for proving trigonometric identities include using the fundamental trigonometric identities, substituting known values, and working with one side of the equation at a time.
carlodelmundo

Homework Statement

http://carlodm.com/images/m.png

Homework Equations

sin2 et + cos2 et = 1

The identity above is foreign to me. Can anyone explain/have external links that explains this identity? I haven't seen anything like it and Google isn't showing anything useful.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind. I realized it's just sin^2 (x) + cos^2 (x) = 1.

It looked weird. Same angles threw me off

That happens to all of us.

Thanks
Matt

Related to Trig Identity - Never Seen This Before

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is used to show a relationship between different trigonometric functions.

2. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities until it matches the other side of the equation.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and sum and difference identities.

4. What is the purpose of using trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are useful in simplifying and solving trigonometric equations, as well as in graphing and analyzing trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any strategies for proving trigonometric identities?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be used to prove trigonometric identities, including using the fundamental trigonometric identities, substituting known values, and working with one side of the equation at a time.