1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig identity question need checking

1. Jul 30, 2009 #1
    1. cos(2x+y)
    = cos(a+b) = sinasinb + cosacosb
    = (2x+y) = sin2xsiny + cos2xcosy
    = sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos2x-sin2x
    = cos(2x+y) = (cos2x-sin2x)cosy - (2sinxcosx and cos2x)siny
    (is this correct)

2. evaluate the following exactly (use [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] in your answer where necessary)

cos (5pi / 12)

how do i complete this question ???!!!!???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Do you mean sin2xsiny = (2sinxcosx+cos2x)siny ?

also cos(a+b)=cosacosb - sinasinb

try putting [itex]\frac{5 \pi}{12}[/itex] as two fractions which you know the sine of and the cosine of.

4. Jul 30, 2009 #3
    cos(a+b) = sinasinb + cosacosb is not the correct identity, so the next line is also incorrect (you also forgot something before (2x+y) on the left side of that equation).
    The last two lines are correct except for the last one where copied and pasted and cos2x which doesn't belong.

As for evaluating cos(5[itex]\pi[/itex]/12), split 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/12 into two numbers you can easily evaluate with trigonometric functions. Split them so you have cos(a + b) and use the the identities above to evaluate.

5. Jul 30, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, and similar to a comment I made in another thread, don't put in extraneous stuff.
    I.e., you have
    I understand why you put it there, but if you have to write this down, put it off to the side so that it's not in the flow of your chain of equalities. You don't have to (and shouldn't) write down everything that goes through your mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook