Trig question, I'm sure I'm being silly but help please....

• B
  • Thread starter shott92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses the addition of wind speed and direction to a car and circuit simulation. The speaker suggests using cos degrees to determine the effective direction of the wind. They are confused about the calculation and ask for clarification. The other person explains that there is no easy way to estimate the effect of a head wind using simple calculations and suggests looking up "Relative Velocity" for determining effective wind direction.
shott92
so basically I have been trying to add into a car and circuit simulation wind speed and direction, now I was thinking that cos degrees would work fine, so "wind direction - driving direction = affective direction."
This works for head wind -1 and back wind 1 as well as side winds, 0 (no affect)
however I am really confused (I know that cos(45) is 0.707) but don't I want it to be 0.5?
I'm just thinking simply here that a 45 degree head wind will have a 50% impact on speed? yes? no?
please can someone tell me how I should be calculating the affective wind direction tanks
If I am being a complete twonk feel free to tell me.

Physics news on Phys.org
shott92 said:
I'm just thinking simply here that a 45 degree head wind will have a 50% impact on speed? yes? no?

No to that .

A head wind will certainly tend to slow car down or require more engine power to maintain speed but there is no easy way to estimate the actual effect of a head wind using simple calculations .

Effective wind direction is not too difficult to work out though . Look up : Relative Velocity

1. Why is trigonometry important in science?

Trigonometry is essential in science because it helps us understand and analyze the relationships between angles and sides in geometric shapes. It is used in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering to make calculations and measurements more accurate.

2. What is the purpose of trigonometry?

The main purpose of trigonometry is to study the properties of triangles and how to use them to solve problems involving angles and distances. It also has real-world applications in navigation, architecture, and other fields.

3. How do you use trigonometry in scientific research?

Trigonometry is used in scientific research to make precise measurements and calculations involving angles and distances. It is also used to model and analyze various phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic radiation.

4. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles. Other important trigonometric functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the concepts to real-world situations. You can also seek additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups to enhance your knowledge and skills.