1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Trig question, I'm sure I'm being silly but help please...

1. Apr 18, 2016 #1
    so basically I have been trying to add into a car and circuit simulation wind speed and direction, now I was thinking that cos degrees would work fine, so "wind direction - driving direction = affective direction."
    This works for head wind -1 and back wind 1 as well as side winds, 0 (no affect)
    however I am really confused (I know that cos(45) is 0.707) but don't I want it to be 0.5?
    I'm just thinking simply here that a 45 degree head wind will have a 50% impact on speed? yes? no?
    please can someone tell me how I should be calculating the affective wind direction tanks
    If I am being a complete twonk feel free to tell me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No to that .

A head wind will certainly tend to slow car down or require more engine power to maintain speed but there is no easy way to estimate the actual effect of a head wind using simple calculations .

Effective wind direction is not too difficult to work out though . Look up : Relative Velocity

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted