1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trignometric manipulation problem

1. Nov 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A+B+C=pi where pi=180 and cotA+cotB+cotC=√3 show that A=B=C

2. Relevant equations
    cot(A+B)= cotAcotB-1/cotA+cotB

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried to solve it by using both A+B+C=pi and cotA+cotB+cotC=√3. I also know that we have manipulate the whole expression in such a way that the end result that we get is cotA=cotB=cotC. What confuses is how we can use cotA+cotB+cotC=√3 effectively

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Often a way to show something like x=y and u=v is to show that (x-y)2+(u-v)2=0.
    Another hint is to consider cot(A+B+C).

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3
    Initially, I have tried to solve it by considering cot(A+B+C). But, my real question to you guys is how do I eliminate √3 from the expression √3= cotAcotBcotC-1 where cotA+cotB+cotC=√3.

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4
    Since there is a √3 the expression should look something like cot^3A+ cot^3B+cot^3C-3cotAcotBcotC=0 so that we can get the final result 1/2(cotA+cotB+cotC){(cotA-cotB)^2+(cotB-cotC)^2+(cotC-cotA)^2}=0. What is baffling me is How do I get there by using cot(A+B+C) and A+B+C=pi where pi=180

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  6. Nov 23, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please do not use standard math symbols with non-standard meanings! pi= [itex]\pi[/itex]= 3.1415926... not "180".

(Yes, [itex]\pi[/itex] radians, angle measure, is equivalent to 180 degrees but that has nothing to do with this problem.)

7. Nov 23, 2012 #6
    I am sorry for my mistake. Your help would be very much appreciated if you could give a proper reply to my earlier posts regarding this problem

8. Nov 23, 2012 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't know how you reached that expression.
    What did you get for cot(A+B+C)? What did setting that equal to cot(pi) tell you about cot A, cot B, cot C?
    Did you understand what to do with my other hint?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook