Trigonometric series with normalised coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometric function series with a normalization condition and monotonic decreasing weights. The question is about characterizing this function and finding theorems that can help with this. The conversation also mentions the function being even and periodic, with a period of 2π, and potentially being able to analyze its properties through theorems on weight trends.
Gaetano F
Hi all,
I have a trigonometric function series
$$f(x)={1 \over 2}{\Lambda _0} + \sum\limits_{l = 1}^\infty {{\Lambda _l}\cos \left( {lx} \right)} $$
with the normalization condition
$$\Lambda_0 + 2\sum\limits_{l = 1}^\infty {{\Lambda _l} = 1} $$
and ##\Lambda_l## being monotonic decrescent weights, i.e. ##\Lambda_0>\Lambda_1>\Lambda_2...##
Clearly from these two latter conditions one can prove ##f(x)## exists, but my problem is to characterise this function. Which theorems do you suggest to be helpful to this aim?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a Fourier series without the sine terms. Can you say anything about f(x) being even or odd, i.e. symmetric or anti-symmetric about x=0? Also, because it is a Fourier series, doesn't that say something about f(x) being periodic? How long is the interval over which the function repeats? ## \\ ## Also, generally on the Physics Forums, questions like this should be put in the homework section. Welcome to Physics Forums. :) :)

Thank you for you reply. I'm not sure this is homework, because it's actually a very tiny part of a research I'm doing in quantum optics.
I'm aware this is a special case of Fourier series, that's why it is called trigonometric series.
f(x) is a function defined like above, it has no other specifications.
Moreover f(x) being even is clear from its definition: x -> -x, f(x)=f(-x).
Periodicity is very clear as well: being a sum of cosines, the lowest harmonic l=1 dictates the period 2π.
The question is about formalisation of other properties (like its sign or zeros, or amplitude, or derivative) of this function through theorems analysing the possible trend for weights Λ (for instance power distribution, Gaussian distribution, ...).
Hope to hear from you soon, thanks again

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a trigonometric series with normalised coefficients?

A trigonometric series with normalised coefficients is a mathematical representation of a function using a sum of trigonometric functions (such as sine and cosine) with coefficients that have been normalized to have a magnitude of 1. This allows for easier comparison and analysis of different trigonometric series.

2. How is a trigonometric series with normalised coefficients different from a regular trigonometric series?

In a regular trigonometric series, the coefficients may have different magnitudes, making it difficult to compare the contributions of each term. However, in a trigonometric series with normalised coefficients, the coefficients are all equal in magnitude, making it easier to analyze the series and determine its properties.

3. What is the importance of using normalised coefficients in trigonometric series?

Using normalized coefficients in trigonometric series allows for easier comparison and analysis of different series. It also helps to simplify calculations and make the series more manageable. Additionally, normalized coefficients have important applications in signal processing, engineering, and physics.

4. What are some examples of trigonometric series with normalised coefficients?

One example is the Fourier series, which is a representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with normalized coefficients. Another example is the Jacobi series, which is a generalization of the Fourier series for non-periodic functions.

5. How are normalised coefficients determined in a trigonometric series?

In most cases, normalised coefficients are determined by dividing the original coefficients by the magnitude of the largest coefficient. This ensures that all coefficients have a magnitude of 1. In some cases, a different normalization method may be used, depending on the specific application or context.