Trigonometry - Cosec summation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the sum of several csc values and finding the value of A when the sum is equal to cot(pi/A). The conversation includes a discussion of potential strategies to solve the problem, with one expert providing a solution involving expressing each csc term as a difference of two cot values. This results in a telescoping series which can be easily summed to find the value of A.
Saitama

Homework Statement

If
$$\csc\frac{\pi}{32}+\csc\frac{\pi}{16}+\csc\frac{\pi}{8}+\csc\frac{\pi}{4}+\csc\frac{\pi}{2}$$
has the value equal to ##\cot\frac{\pi}{A}## then find A.
A)61
B)62
C)63
D)64

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Writing cosec in terms of sin and taking the LCM to make a common denominator doesn't seem to be of any help.

I can find the value of each term but that would be tedious and of no use.

I honestly cannot figure out how should I proceed here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

If
$$\csc\frac{\pi}{32}+\csc\frac{\pi}{16}+\csc\frac{\pi}{2}+\csc\frac{\pi}{4}+\csc\frac{\pi}{2}$$
has the value equal to ##\cot\frac{\pi}{A}## then find A.
A)61
B)62
C)63
D)64

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Writing cosec in terms of sin and taking the LCM to make a common denominator doesn't seem to be of any help.

I can find the value of each term but that would be tedious and of no use.

I honestly cannot figure out how should I proceed here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Try showing cot(x)-cot(2x)=csc(2x).

Likes 1 person
##\csc(\frac{\pi}{2})## appears twice.
All the angles are successive doublings of ##\pi/32##

Dick said:
Try showing cot(x)-cot(2x)=csc(2x).

Wow! Thanks a lot Dick! :smile:

How did you come up with that?

Simon Bridge said:
##\csc(\frac{\pi}{2})## appears twice.
All the angles are successive doublings of ##\pi/32##
Very sorry for the typo, its ##\pi/8## instead of the second ##\pi/2##.

Pranav-Arora said:
Wow! Thanks a lot Dick! :smile:

How did you come up with that?

I guessed the series must telescope somehow. So somehow cot(2x) must be related to cot(x) with the difference related to a csc. Seems obvious in retrospect, yes?

Last edited:
Dick said:
Seems obvious in retrospect, yes?

Yes. I liked the way you came up with cot(x)-cot(2x) and solved the problem in few seconds where I was stuck for a week.

Thank you again! :)

Pranav-Arora said:
Yes. I liked the way you came up with cot(x)-cot(2x) and solved the problem in few seconds where I was stuck for a week.

Thank you again! :)

You're welcome, but it took me more than a "few seconds". Still keeping that strategy in mind might help in the future. If you've got the sum of a bunch of csc's equaling a cot, then if you can express each csc as a difference of two cot's you might be able to sum the series easily. Substitute any other functions you want for 'csc' and 'cot'.

Likes 1 person

1. What is cosecant summation in trigonometry?

Cosecant summation is a method used in trigonometry to calculate the sum of cosecant values for a given set of angles or a range of angles.

2. How is cosecant summation different from other trigonometric summation methods?

Cosecant summation is specifically used for calculating the sum of cosecant values, while other methods may be used for calculating the sum of other trigonometric functions like sine or cosine.

3. What is the formula for cosecant summation?

The formula for cosecant summation is n * csc(x), where n is the total number of angles and x is the angle whose cosecant value is being calculated.

4. How can cosecant summation be applied in real-world situations?

Cosecant summation can be applied in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, to calculate the sum of cosecant values for a given set of angles or a range of angles.

5. Are there any limitations to using cosecant summation?

One limitation of using cosecant summation is that it can only be applied to angles within a certain range, typically between 0 and 90 degrees. Additionally, rounding errors can occur when using this method for large sets of angles.