Trigonometry, find solutions between [0/2pi]

In summary, the unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is used in trigonometry to represent the relationship between angles and sides of a right triangle. To find solutions between 0 and 2pi for trigonometric equations, the unit circle or a calculator can be used to find the values of the trigonometric functions at various angles in the given interval. The six trigonometric functions include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant, and they are used to relate angles and sides of a right triangle. Inverse trigonometric functions can be used to find solutions between 0 and 2pi for trigonometric equations, and they are denoted as sin^-
synergix

Homework Statement

solve, finding all solutions between [0,2pi]
tanx=3cotx

The Attempt at a Solution

It looks like a relatively simple problem if one knew what they were doing unfortunately I do not. I am trying to think of this graphically and I figure that the places were tanx=3cotx are where the functions intersect. but how do i figure out the values?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would think about decomposing tan and cot in their sin & cos components and then work from there. Maybe sin^2(x)+cos^2(x)=1 might be helpful, who knows ;)

cotx = 1 / tanx

got it thx

1. What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin on a Cartesian plane. It is used in trigonometry to represent the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the corresponding angle, while the y-coordinate represents the sine. This allows for easy calculation of trigonometric functions without the use of a calculator.

2. How do I find the solutions between 0 and 2pi for trigonometric equations?

To find the solutions between 0 and 2pi for trigonometric equations, you can use the unit circle or a calculator to find the values of the trigonometric functions at various angles in the given interval. You can then use these values to solve for the variable in the equation. Another method is to use the trigonometric identities to simplify the equation and then solve for the variable.

3. What are the six trigonometric functions?

The six trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant. These functions are used to relate the angles and sides of a right triangle. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side, cotangent is the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side, secant is the reciprocal of cosine, and cosecant is the reciprocal of sine.

4. How do I use the inverse trigonometric functions to find solutions between 0 and 2pi?

The inverse trigonometric functions, also known as arc functions, can be used to find solutions between 0 and 2pi for trigonometric equations. The inverse trigonometric functions are denoted as sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1, cot^-1, sec^-1, and csc^-1. They are used to find the angle whose trigonometric function value is known. For example, if you know the sine value of an angle, you can use sin^-1 to find the angle itself.

5. Can I use trigonometry to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometry is used in various real-world applications such as engineering, physics, astronomy, and navigation. It can be used to calculate distances and heights, measure angles and trajectories, and solve problems involving right triangles. For example, it can be used to determine the height of a building or the distance between two points on a map.