1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution to this trigonometric equation

1. Apr 29, 2016 #1

diredragon

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ##tanx=\frac{(1+tan1)(1+tan2)-2}{(1-tan1)(1-tan2)-2}## find x
    2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I tried multiplying through the paranthesis and arrived at ##tanx=\frac{(tan1tan2-1)+(tan2+tan1)}{(tan1tan2-1)-(tan2+tan1)}## and i dont know if this is any simpler than what was originally set. Is there a trigonometric identity at play here?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2016 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is that really tan(1) and tan(2), as in 1 and 2 radians?

4. Apr 29, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Whatever it is, divide the numerator & denominator by ##\ tan1\,tan2 -1 \ ##.

5. Apr 30, 2016 #4

diredragon

Gold Member

It's in degrees. So i divided both num and den by ##tan1tan2 - 1## and i get
    ##tanx=\frac{(tan1)^2(tan2)^2-2tan1tan2+1+(tan2)^2tan1-tan2+(tan1)^2tan2-tan1}{(tan1)^(tan2)^2-2tan1tan2+1-(tan2)^2tan1+tan2-(tan1)^2-tan1}##
    What should i do now?

6. Apr 30, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

From post #1 and using SammyS's suggestion you should get it into the form: (1 + A)/(1 - A)

Can you try it again.

7. Apr 30, 2016 #6

diredragon

Gold Member

Oh, well then it is
    ##tanx=\frac{1+\frac{tan1+tan2}{tan1tan2-1}}{1-\frac{tan1+tan2}{tan1tan2-1}}##
    Is there a way to simplify this?

8. Apr 30, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Ask google to search on tan(a+b) (or some trig expression like that) and see whether you can substitute something for that expression you have for the term I designated by A.

9. Apr 30, 2016 #8

diredragon

Gold Member

##tanx=\frac{1-tan3}{1+tan3}## but thats as far as the simolification goes right? Now the use of calculator is required. It says that the answer is ##x=42## in degrees.

10. Apr 30, 2016 #9

diredragon

Gold Member

Yeah i solved it. I used ##tan45-tan3## and the identity to arrive at ##tanx=tan42##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted