Trigonometry Problem Solving Question

In summary, the question asks for the height of a tree that a cat spots at two different angles of elevation after moving 25m along a river bank. The assumptions made in constructing the diagram are that the triangle formed by the cat's movement is a right angled triangle and that the other triangles formed are vertical. However, the calculations done using these assumptions do not match the given answer of 11.37m. The speaker asks for help in understanding how to reach the correct solution.
Zashmar
Question:
"A cat sitting on the edge of a straight river bank spots a bird sitting in a tree directly across the river's edge. The angle of elevation from the cat to the bird is 15°. The cat the moves 25m along the river bank, and now spots the same bird at an angle of elevation of 13°. How high is the tree?

What assumptions have you made in the construction of your diagram?"

There is not enough information to do this, that is why it asks for assumptions.

I have drawn the diagram, and then realized there are not enough angles or sides to work it out. I then thought that i would have to ASSUME THAT THE TRIANGLE FORMED FROM THE CAT WALKING 25m WAS A RIGHT ANGLED TRIANGLE.

However when i then calculate the size of the tree not only is the answer wrong, but for each sub-viewing-traingle i found a different value of the size of the tree. The answer in the book says that the tree is 11.37m tall.

How did they get there?

Please, Thank you :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Zashmar said:
Question:
"A cat sitting on the edge of a straight river bank spots a bird sitting in a tree directly across the river's edge. The angle of elevation from the cat to the bird is 15°. The cat the moves 25m along the river bank, and now spots the same bird at an angle of elevation of 13°. How high is the tree?

What assumptions have you made in the construction of your diagram?"

There is not enough information to do this, that is why it asks for assumptions.

I have drawn the diagram, and then realized there are not enough angles or sides to work it out. I then thought that i would have to ASSUME THAT THE TRIANGLE FORMED FROM THE CAT WALKING 25m WAS A RIGHT ANGLED TRIANGLE.

However when i then calculate the size of the tree not only is the answer wrong, but for each sub-viewing-traingle i found a different value of the size of the tree. The answer in the book says that the tree is 11.37m tall.

How did they get there?

Please, Thank you :confused:

Show us what you did and what answer you got.

Hi Zashmar,

How did you get to the wrong solution? Show your work.

A picture can help. I show you one. You are right, there are right triangles- one horizontal, as initially, the cat sits opposite to the tree, then walks 25 m along the tree. The other triangles are vertical. Write up all equations for the unknowns: hight of tree (h), width of the river (w) distance from the tree (d) after the cat walked 25 m.

ehild

Attachments

• cattree.JPG
    cattree.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:

What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It involves using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent to solve problems related to right triangles.

What are the common applications of Trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as navigation, surveying, architecture, engineering, and physics. It is also used in fields like astronomy, music, and art.

How do I solve Trigonometry problems?

To solve a Trigonometry problem, you need to identify the given information, draw a diagram if necessary, and apply the appropriate trigonometric formula or function. It is also important to remember to use the correct units and pay attention to the angle mode (degrees or radians) when using a calculator.

What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving Trigonometry problems?

One of the most common mistakes in Trigonometry is using the wrong formula or function. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct angle mode. Another mistake is not clearly understanding the problem and misinterpreting the given information.

How can I improve my Trigonometry problem-solving skills?

To improve your Trigonometry problem-solving skills, it is essential to have a strong foundation in basic trigonometric concepts and formulas. Practice solving various types of problems and seek help from teachers or online resources if you encounter difficulties. It is also helpful to draw diagrams and use visual aids to better understand the problems.