1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry related to Kepler's Equation

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    In deriving Kepler's Equation, there's a little trig work that gets at nu (see figure), which is the true anomaly. I'm curious how the third equation makes it into the 4th (last) equation. It's been a very long time since I've played with trig. nu of course is the atan of the last equation.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2

You should write down, with LaTeX, directly the equations here so that it'll be possible to check the notation and give, eventually, and answer, otherwise

it is way too cumbersome.

DonAntonio

4. Jul 3, 2012 #3
    See <http://rip94550.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/elliptical-orbits-%E2%80%93-deriving-keplers-equation/>. [Broken] Attached is the part I was looking for.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jul 4, 2012 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You're using the wrong equation as the source. Use the first two. From the second, compute [itex]1+\cos\nu[/itex]. Next compute [itex]sin\nu/(1+\cos\nu)[/itex]. This is just [itex]\tan(\nu/2)[/itex] per the half angle formula. Use the same formula to simplify the right hand side.

6. Jul 4, 2012 #5
    What source are you referring to? The link or one of the equations in the attachment? The link is 10 pages long.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  7. Jul 4, 2012 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm referring to the attachment in your first post.

8. Jul 5, 2012 #7
    Ah, that was produced by a CM "pdf book" on the web. I'm satisfied with the longer attachment. I may contact the author of the pdf.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook