1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trisectible angles | divisibility

1. Mar 18, 2008 #1
    1) We know that if [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass), then [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible.

But is it also true that if [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible, then [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass)?

If so, then I can say that since 15o is constructible, we have that 45 o is trisectible, right? (because we can copy an angle of 15o three times, thus trisecting the angle 45 o)

2) Let m,n be integers.
    Then m|3n3 => m|n
    and n|28n3 => n|m

I spent half an hour thinking about this, but I still have no clue...
    Why are the implications (=>) true? Can someone please explain?

3) How can I prove that the acute angle whose cosine is 1/10 is constructible?
    I know that if [itex]\theta[/itex] is constructible, then cos[itex]\theta[/itex] is constructible. But is the converse true? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated!:smile:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2008 #2
    For 1) your logic seems right. For 2), I don't see how the statements are true--are there any other qualifying statements? For example, in the first case, what if m = n2? Or what if m = 3 and n = 2?

4. Mar 20, 2008 #3
    1) So is it true that [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass) IF AND ONLY IF [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible (with straightedge and compass)?

2) The whole situtation is this:
    http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/absmath1.jpg
    I circled the parts in red which corresopnds to what I've included in my top post.
    I don't understand why:
    m|3n3 => m|n
    and n|28n3 => n|m
    where m,n are integers.

Can anyone help?

5. Mar 22, 2008 #4
    Can someone please help me with Q3 as well?

I am sure someone here understands it. Please help!!

6. Mar 24, 2008 #5
    Still wondering...

7. Mar 24, 2008 #6
    Isn't your first question essentially, "Can you construct an integer multiple of a constructable angle?" Well...can you?

8. Mar 25, 2008 #7
    1) I think that if [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible, then we can trisect [itex]\theta[/itex] with straightedge and compass by copying the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 two times (since we can always copy any angle with straightedge and compass)

9. Mar 25, 2008 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… cos^-1 of constructible number is constructible angle …

Hi kingwinner! :smile:

Any angle whose cosine is a constructible number between -1 and 1 (like 4/5 or 1/√2) is constructible!

Hint: draw a circle. Draw one radius. Mark 1/10 along that radius. And then … ? :smile:

10. Mar 25, 2008 #9
    And then erect a pernpendicular at that point to consturuct the angle??? (since on the unit circle, x=cos(theta), where theta is counterclockwise from positive x-axis)

11. Mar 25, 2008 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes!!!! :smile:

(… why only three question marks? …)

12. Mar 25, 2008 #11
    3) So we have theta constructible if and only if cos(theta) is constructible

2) Let m,n be integers
    m|3n3 => m|n
    and n|28n3 => n|m
    Do you think these are actually wrong implications? (i.e. whoever was writing the solutions got it wrong...)

13. Mar 25, 2008 #12
    Without additional assumptions on m and n, the implications aren't true...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?