1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trivial question about electric potential

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    Hi! I'm having an hard time with a trivial question that suddenly I can't figure out: Computing the potential between the plates of a spherical capacitor.

The problem is taken from this url (first page and a half): http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/p...e_home/px263/assignments/assignment2_soln.pdf

Imagine a spherical capacitor in which the inner surface has radius [itex]a[/itex] and the outer surface radius [itex]b[/itex], so [itex]a<b[/itex]. The inner surface has a total charge of [itex]Q[/itex] and he outer surface has a total charge of [itex]-Q[/itex]. The electric field can be easily computed by Gauss's law and points radially outwards; the potential between the plates is computed from it using

[itex] V(\vec{r})=-\intop_{O}^{\vec{r}}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l} [/itex]

If you check the document you can see they do the calculation in the path from [itex]r=b[/itex] to [itex]r=a[/itex], obtaining the potential difference between plates

[itex] V(b)-V(a)=\frac{Q}{4\pi\varepsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b})>0\Leftrightarrow V(b)>V(a) [/itex]

Is this correct? We know the eletric field points in the direction of decreasing potential but, from this example it is pointing in the direction of increasing potential. Why is this?

I was doing the integration going from [itex]r=a[/itex] to [itex]r=b[/itex] and I correctly (in my mind) get [itex]V(b)<V(a)[/itex]. Since we're moving in the positive direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] the dot product with [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] will be positive at all times, because [itex]\vec{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=E\hat{r}\cdot dr\hat{r}=Edr[/itex]

[itex] V(b)-V(a)=-\intop_{a}^{b}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=-\intop_{a}^{b}\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}dr=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a})<0\Leftrightarrow V(b)<V(a) [/itex]

But the thing is, if I try to do it from [itex]r=b[/itex] to [itex]r=a[/itex] as in that solution sheet, I get the opposite, just like them.

[itex] V(a)-V(b)=-\intop_{b}^{a}\overrightarrow{E}\cdot d\overrightarrow{l}=-\intop_{b}^{a}-\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}r^{2}}dr=\frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}(\frac{1}{b}-\frac{1}{a})<0\Leftrightarrow V(b)>V(a) [/itex]

So, where is the confusion? Which way is right and why?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, ppedro. The mistake is in writing ##d\vec{l} = -dr\;\hat{r}## when integrating from b to a. The negative sign should not be there.

You should always write ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## whether you integrate outward along a radius from a to b or inward along a radius from b to a.

When integrating outward, the infinitesimal change in r, dr, is positive which makes ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## point outward, as it should.

When integrating inward from b to a, dr is negative. Then ##d\vec{l} = dr\;\hat{r}## points inward, as it should.

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3
    The most common confusion students have when they first study electric potential .Your analysis is spot on :smile:

5. Aug 21, 2014 #4
    Thanks TSny! It makes sense. But that would mean the answer in the solution sheet I shared is wrong, right?

6. Aug 21, 2014 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the solution sheet is wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted