Trouble deciding a major ME or MET

In summary, the speaker is a second year sophomore in college with a passion for mechanical engineering and designing weapons. However, they have been struggling with pre-major classes such as Calculus and Physics, and are considering changing their major to Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET) which requires less math and is more hands-on. They are seeking advice from others who have taken upper level ME classes and are torn between sticking with ME or switching to MET. The speaker knows one person who works for Raytheon in a similar field, but knows several MEs who do not work in the weapons industry. They wish the speaker luck in their decision.
tcm75
I'm currently a second year sophomore in college. I've had my heart set on being a mechanical engineer for some time with wanting to design weapons ect... but recently I have really had some trouble with the pre classes right before you get into your major concentration classes. Calculus two has really got me down I am not doing very well in it same for calculus based physics. I just recently started to really understand some of my physics and started making some B's and C's on quizzes. But other than that i still feel a little lost in some areas of the work. This has really got me thinking of changing my major to an MET ( Mechanical engineering technology) since it has less math and its more of a hands on major. I really want to stick with ME though i just don't know if i can keep up with the classes. I do hours of math and study weeks in advance for tests and sometimes only can pull out a D or F on it. I'm just curious on what some other people that have had those upper level classes like thermodynamics and things would tell me. Should i try to tough it out and push on for ME or change to an MET?

Physics news on Phys.org
While I only happen to know one person with something similar to an MET he actually happens to work for raython as kind of a weapons designer.I also know a few ME's who do not work for the weapons industry and one that does. I guess I am trying to say it is really possible to do it from either side. I would suspect it is much easier to do it from an ME though. The MET guy had to work his way up while the other started out right in the design aspects. I wish you luck.

1. How do I decide between majoring in Mechanical Engineering (ME) or Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET)?

Choosing between ME and MET can be a tough decision. One way to approach it is to consider your career goals. ME is more focused on theoretical concepts and design, while MET is more hands-on and practical. If you see yourself working in a research or design-oriented role, ME may be a good fit. If you prefer a more hands-on role in manufacturing or production, MET may be a better choice. You can also talk to professionals in both fields and research the curriculum and job opportunities for each major to help you make a decision.

2. What is the main difference between ME and MET?

The main difference between ME and MET is the focus of the curriculum. ME is more theoretical and design-based, while MET is more hands-on and practical. ME students typically take more math and science courses, while MET students take more applied courses in areas like manufacturing processes and computer-aided design.

3. Can I switch from ME to MET (or vice versa) after starting my major?

It is possible to switch majors, but it may require some additional coursework and may extend your graduation timeline. It's best to make a decision before starting your major to avoid potential delays. However, if you realize your chosen major is not the right fit for you, it's never too late to switch!

4. Will ME or MET give me better job opportunities?

Both ME and MET can lead to fulfilling and successful careers. It ultimately depends on your skills, interests, and career goals. ME may open up opportunities in research and development, while MET may lead to more hands-on roles in manufacturing and production. It's important to research the job market and talk to professionals in both fields to determine which path aligns better with your goals.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in either ME or MET with an undergraduate degree in the other?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in either ME or MET with an undergraduate degree in the other. However, you may be required to take some additional coursework to bridge any knowledge gaps. It's best to research the specific graduate programs you are interested in to determine their requirements and if they accept applicants from different undergraduate majors.