Trouble separating equation (differential equation)

In summary, the given differential equation y' = (2x) / y+(x^2)y with initial condition y(0) = -2 can be solved by first separating variables and then integrating both sides. This yields the explicit solution y = √(2x^2 + 4ln|x| + c), where c is a constant determined by applying the initial condition. In this case, c = -4, resulting in the solution y = √(2x^2 + 4ln|x| - 4).
darryw

Homework Statement

y' = (2x) / y+(x^2)y y(0) = -2
i realize this is sort of algebra prob, but i can't seem to separate x's from y's..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
darryw said:

Homework Statement

y' = (2x) / y+(x^2)y y(0) = -2
i realize this is sort of algebra prob, but i can't seem to separate x's from y's..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]y' = \frac{2x}{y(1 + x^2)}[/tex]

Now try separating it.

wow. that shouldve been obvious.
thanks.

Please check my work thanks alot..
find solution in explicit form:

y' = (2x) / y+(x^2)y initial conditions: y(0) = -2

dy/dx = 2x/y(1+x^2)

y dy = 2x + (2/x) dx

integrate both sides...

(1/2)y^2 = x^2 + 2ln|x| + c

y^2 = 2x^2 + 4ln|x| + 2c

y = root [2x^2 + 4ln|x| + c]

apply IC:

-2 = root [2(0)^2 + 4ln|0| + c]

-2 = (root 4) + c

c = -4 (i am reasong that root c is same as c because whether its root c or just c, both are still constants.. right?)

so my solution is:
y = root [2x^2 + 4ln|x| -4]

darryw said:
Please check my work thanks alot..
find solution in explicit form:

y' = (2x) / y+(x^2)y initial conditions: y(0) = -2

dy/dx = 2x/y(1+x^2)

y dy = 2x + (2/x) dx
Mistake in line above. It looks like you are trying to say that 2x/(1 + x^2) = 2x/1 + 2x/x^2.

That's just like saying that 2/(4 + 8) = 2/4 + 2/8 = 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4, which I hope you can see is not true.

If you are working with differential equations, you shouldn't be having problems with basic algebra manipulation.
darryw said:
integrate both sides...

(1/2)y^2 = x^2 + 2ln|x| + c

y^2 = 2x^2 + 4ln|x| + 2c

y = root [2x^2 + 4ln|x| + c]

apply IC:

-2 = root [2(0)^2 + 4ln|0| + c]

-2 = (root 4) + c

c = -4 (i am reasong that root c is same as c because whether its root c or just c, both are still constants.. right?)

so my solution is:
y = root [2x^2 + 4ln|x| -4]

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function or set of functions to its derivatives. It expresses how a change in the dependent variable is related to a change in the independent variable.

Why is it difficult to separate a differential equation?

Separating a differential equation can be difficult because it involves isolating the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation, which can be complex and involve multiple steps. Additionally, some differential equations may not have a solution that can be easily separated.

What is the purpose of separating a differential equation?

The purpose of separating a differential equation is to make it easier to solve. Once the equation is separated, each side can be integrated separately, making it easier to find the solution to the original equation.

What are some strategies for separating a differential equation?

One strategy is to multiply both sides of the equation by an integrating factor, which can help in isolating the dependent and independent variables. Another strategy is to use a substitution method, where a new variable is introduced to simplify the equation.

Can all differential equations be separated?

No, not all differential equations can be separated. Some equations may require more advanced techniques or may not have a solution that can be easily separated. It is important to consider the specific properties and characteristics of the equation before attempting to separate it.