Trouble taking 2nd deriv of multi variable

• Thread starter mrcleanhands
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
I can't wrap my head around it.In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on taking the second derivative of a given equation using the product rule and the chain rule. The conversation includes the use of polar coordinates and the Taylor expansion method. The correct method for finding the second derivative is using the chain rule, and the conversation also touches on the concept of partial derivatives.
mrcleanhands

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58257&stc=1&d=1367057492.jpg

Use * to show -->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I've begun by trying to take the 2nd derivative of [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex]

Which gives me this: [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=-\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}}
[/itex]

I've tried playing around a little but can't seem to get it in the form shown. I can see the form is something like (a+b)^2 but can't mimic this...

Have I done something wrong?

Attachments

• showthatforreal.jpg
    showthatforreal.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 460
Physics news on Phys.org
hi mrcleanhands! :smile:
mrcleanhands said:
So I've begun by trying to take the 2nd derivative of [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex]

Which gives me this: [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=-\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}}
[/itex]

?? :confused:

you seem to be using the product rule instead of the chain rule :redface:

mrcleanhands said:

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58257&stc=1&d=1367057492.jpg

Use * to show -->

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/itex]

I've tried playing around a little but can't seem to get it in the form shown. I can see the form is something like (a+b)^2 but can't mimic this...

Have I done something wrong?

Sometimes the surest, most trouble-free (but *not shortest*) way is to do it directly: let
[tex]F(p,q) = z((r+p) \cos(\theta +q),(r+p) \sin(\theta + q)),[/tex]
where z(x,y) is assumed smooth enough. Now just find the Taylor expansion of F(p,q) to terms of up to second order in (p,q). The coefficient of p^2 will be ##(1/2) \partial^2 z/ \partial r^2##, etc.

Were not supposed to do it using a Taylor expansion. Last time I used polar co-ordinates to find a limit where no method was specified and lost marks. Besides, I forgot Taylor expansions.

Hey Tim. So I can't apply product rule to find second derivatives of that? If that was an equation without differentials in it I would be using product rule to take second derivatives. I don't see how I would use chain rule here. I thought maybe I could substitute what I found for [itex]\frac {\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex] and [itex]\frac {\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex] but I keep going around in circles and not getting anywhere :(

hi mrcleanhands! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
mrcleanhands said:
I don't see how I would use chain rule here.

never mind ∂z/∂x and ∂z/∂y

what is ∂/∂r in terms of ∂/∂x and ∂/∂y ?

Ok, I see what I did. I was trying to take a derivative of a constant...

[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial r})=(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]and I just got it :D On my way to finishing this question.

Thanks again...

Last edited by a moderator:
mrcleanhands said:
[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial r})=(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]
I did this and it's wrong. I've just taken the product, not the 2nd derivative (which I still haven't figured out) but for some reason my answer was correct.

I'm confusing myself more now.
with z=f(x,y), x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}
[/itex] means [itex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=2\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/itex]
which doesn't make any sense

mrcleanhands said:
I'm confusing myself more now.
with z=f(x,y), x=rcosθ and y=rsinθ

[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/itex]
Stop here - you're done with this partial.
mrcleanhands said:
means [itex] \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}+\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}=2\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/itex]
No, it doesn't mean that. You can't cancel as you did, since these aren't fractions.
mrcleanhands said:
which doesn't make any sense

mrcleanhands said:
[itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial r})=(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]

nooo, it's [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial r})=(\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]

(what you wrote is correct, but it's just a product

what i've written is a derivative :wink:)​

anyway, show us how you expand this :smile:

No, it doesn't mean that. You can't cancel as you did, since these aren't fractions.
:cry:

I will look this up again.

I just stumbled on that answer by chance because I was actually doing a product for some reason.

Now I get this:
[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]

θ is independent from r so the change in cosθ for a change in r is 0...

but I don't know what happens when it's [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})[/itex]
Or even [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})[/itex]

This is a change in r for a change in z with respect to x.

i'll say it again …

it's [itex](\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]

expand this

I know that when expanded that becomes [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\cos^{2}\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+2\sin\theta\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x\partial y}+\sin^{2}\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}}
[/itex] (the answer) but I don't get how we go from [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex] to that.

When I originally "got" that and thought I proved i,t I actually just multiplied the derivative by itself.

mrcleanhands said:
[/itex] (the answer) but I don't get how we go from [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})+\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex] to that.

When I originally "got" that and thought I proved i,t I actually just multiplied the derivative by itself.

You should think of ∂/∂r[] as an "operator": something that operates (acts on) a function. When you stick the function f(r,θ) (or f(x,y) equivalently) into this operator (i.e. into the square brackets), the operator differentiates that function w.r.t. r. So, in this problem, what you're being told is that the operator ∂/∂r[] can be expressed in Cartesian coordinates as:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[~\right] \equiv \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[~\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[~\right]$$

So, in the equation quoted above, everywhere we see ∂/∂r, we can replace it with the equivalent differential operator expressed in Cartesian coords:$$\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right]+\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right] $$ $$= \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right]+ \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right]$$

Can you take it from here?

cepheid said:
You should think of ∂/∂r[] as an "operator": something that operates (acts on) a function. When you stick the function f(r,θ) (or f(x,y) equivalently) into this operator (i.e. into the square brackets), the operator differentiates that function w.r.t. r. So, in this problem, what you're being told is that the operator ∂/∂r[] can be expressed in Cartesian coordinates as:$$\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[~\right] \equiv \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[~\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[~\right]$$

But this was actually derived when finding dz/dr (z w.r.t to r)... How else would you come up with this operator? How then do I know I can remove the z and plug anything else in?

So, in the equation quoted above, everywhere we see ∂/∂r, we can replace it with the equivalent differential operator expressed in Cartesian coords:$$\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right]+\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right] $$ $$= \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right]+ \cos\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right] + \sin\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left[\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}\right]$$

Can you take it from here?

I have the same problem with [itex]\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right]. [/itex]How do I interpret/do [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left[\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}\right][/itex]

Ok, I got it. I found some material on this online. I just didn't have enough prereq knowledge to understand.

Now I'm getting this

For [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})[/itex]:

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})=\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})
[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})=\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+\sin\theta(\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial xy})[/itex]

For [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})=\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial xy}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}}
[/itex]

Now substitute these into the original mess of [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}[/itex] :

[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=-\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial x})+\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial r}(\frac{\partial z}{\partial y})
[/itex]
[itex]\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=-\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\cos\theta(\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+\sin\theta(\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial xy}))+\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}+\sin\theta(\cos\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial xy}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}})
[/itex]...
[itex] \frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial r^{2}}=-\sin\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}+\cos^{2}\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial x^{2}}+2\sin\theta\cos\theta(\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial xy}))+\cos\theta\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}+\sin^{2}\theta\frac{\partial^{2}z}{\partial y^{2}}
[/itex]

which is wrong :mad:

i don't understand why you're doing all this :confused:

2z/∂r2

= ∂/∂r(∂z/∂r)

= [itex](\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial y})\left((\cos\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+\sin\theta\frac{\partial}{\partial y})(z)\right)[/itex]

I know what I did wrong and I finally understand the question. I was taking the second derivative of dz/dr and used the product rule but r is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] so when I treat [itex]\theta[/itex] as a constant I get the same answer as you.

Thanks again for helping me out guys! much appreciated.

1. What is a second derivative of a multi-variable function?

A second derivative of a multi-variable function is the derivative of the derivative. It is a measure of how the rate of change of a function changes as the input variables change. It is useful in understanding the curvature and concavity of a function.

2. Why is it difficult to take the second derivative of a multi-variable function?

Taking the second derivative of a multi-variable function can be difficult because it involves differentiating with respect to multiple variables simultaneously. This requires a thorough understanding of partial derivatives and the chain rule.

3. What are some common mistakes when taking the second derivative of a multi-variable function?

Some common mistakes when taking the second derivative of a multi-variable function include forgetting to use the chain rule, incorrect application of the product rule, and not taking into account the order of differentiation. It is important to carefully follow the rules of differentiation to avoid these mistakes.

4. How can I check if my calculated second derivative of a multi-variable function is correct?

To check if your calculated second derivative of a multi-variable function is correct, you can use the rules of differentiation to simplify your expression and see if it matches the expected result. Additionally, you can use computer software or calculators to verify your calculations.

5. What are some real-life applications of taking the second derivative of a multi-variable function?

The second derivative of a multi-variable function has many real-life applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to optimize production processes, determine the stability of a system, and analyze the behavior of complex systems. It is also used in the fields of finance and statistics to model and predict trends and patterns.