1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multi-Variable Calculus: Partial Derivatives Using Level Curves

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1

Dembadon

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is a bonus problem on our homework, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to setup what I need.

calc3bonus.jpg

2. Relevant equations

Here are my best guesses:
    [tex]f_x=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]
    [tex]f_y=\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]
    [tex]f_{xx}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]f_{xy}=\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]f_{yy}=\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\right)[/tex]
    [tex]f_x=\frac{f(x_0+h,y_0)-f(x,y)}{h}[/tex]
    [tex]f_y=\frac{f(x_0,y_0+h)-f(x,y)}{h}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My professor said that a "sufficiently precise qualitative explanation" (whatever the hell that means) will be good enough. If it's possible, I would rather provide an analytical explanation. Maybe with the limit definition of the derivative? I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to use, and I have a feeling it's embarrassingly simple. :frown:

Initial observations:

(a) If [itex]f[/itex] is increasing at [itex]P[/itex] then [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex] is positive. If [itex]f[/itex] is decreasing, then [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/itex] is negative, right?

(b) Same line of reasoning from (a), but holding [itex]x[/itex] constant.

(c) For [itex]f_{xx}[/itex] the contours appear to be closer together for [itex]x<x_0[/itex] than for [itex]x>x_0[/itex]. This indicates that [itex]f_{xx}[/itex] is negative, right?

(d) For [itex]f_{xy}[/itex] , I think this means that I'm supposed to observe how [itex]f_x[/itex] changes when [itex]f_y[/itex] changes, right?

(e) For [itex]f_{yy}[/itex] the contours appear to be closer together for [itex]y>y_0[/itex] than for [itex]y<y_0[/itex]. This indicates that [itex]f_{yy}[/itex] is positive, right?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Intuitively, fx is something like "the (instantaneous) change in f in the x-direction only" - so what do you expect?

You can confirm this suspicion analytically if you look at the definition of fx[/b]. Just take h > 0 and check the signs of the denominator and the numerator (you'll have to assume that the level curves are a reasonable representation, e.g. that f doesn't rise to 12 in between the level curves for 6 and 4).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook