Trouble understanding ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning and interpretation of the term ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}## in Riemannian geometry. It is a contracting relation on the Christoffel symbols and can be shown to be equal to ##\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})## using the Levi-Civita connection. The term appears in the Laplacian of a function and is denoted as ##\Delta f=div~\nabla f= \partial^2 f-g\Gamma\partial f##. The first term is clear, but there is no clear or simple interpretation for the second term. The identity ##g
shooride
Hi friends,

I'm learning Riemannian geometry. I'm in trouble with understanding the meaning of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##. I know it is a contracting relation on the Christoffel symbols and one can show that ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})## using the Levi-Civita connection, etc-- rhs is similar to the divergence of an antisymmetric tensor field (!)--. But, how should one interpret and call ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}##?! I'm interested in this term since it appears in the Laplacian of the function ##f## (Laplace–Beltrami operator). Especially, ##\Delta f=div ~\nabla f= \partial^2 f-g\Gamma\partial f## (not using the Einstein notation). The interpretation of first term in the rhs is clear; Is there any clear/simple interpretation for second term?!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess I should name ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}##, ##a^i##:biggrin:.

First, do you understand why the covariant derivative of a vector has 2 terms? (I.e., a partial derivative and a term involving ##\Gamma##) ?

Likes shooride
strangerep said:
First, do you understand why the covariant derivative of a vector has 2 terms? (I.e., a partial derivative and a term involving ##\Gamma##) ?
Yeah, since the covariant derivative is a covariant :biggrin:. I think I was a bit confused when I asked this question :oops:. Anyway, do you know whether there is a particular name for the identity ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})##?!

shooride said:
[...] do you know whether there is a particular name for the identity ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})##?!
No, I don't know a name.

BTW, for Riemannian geometry stuff involving indices, (which mathematicians usually hate), you can sometimes get more answers by asking in the relativity forum.

What is ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##?

##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## is a mathematical expression used in the field of differential geometry. It represents the Christoffel symbol, which is used to calculate the curvature of a manifold.

Why is it difficult to understand ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##?

The expression ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## involves multiple indices and mathematical operations, which can be challenging to comprehend. It also requires a strong understanding of differential geometry and tensor algebra.

What is the significance of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## in science?

##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## is a crucial tool in the study of curved spaces and the theory of general relativity. It helps scientists understand the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of gravitational fields.

How can one improve their understanding of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##?

The best way to improve understanding of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## is to study differential geometry and tensor algebra extensively. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and applying the concept to real-world scenarios.

What are some applications of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##?

##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}## has various applications in physics, including the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the behavior of light in curved space. It is also used in engineering and computer science for image processing and pattern recognition.