Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble understanding ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##

1. Feb 5, 2016 #1
    Hi friends,

I'm learning Riemannian geometry. I'm in trouble with understanding the meaning of ##g^{jk}\Gamma^{i}{}_{jk}##. I know it is a contracting relation on the Christoffel symbols and one can show that ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})## using the Levi-Civita connection, etc-- rhs is similar to the divergence of an antisymmetric tensor field (!)--. But, how should one interpret and call ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}##?! I'm interested in this term since it appears in the Laplacian of the function ##f## (Laplace–Beltrami operator). Especially, ##\Delta f=div ~\nabla f= \partial^2 f-g\Gamma\partial f## (not using the Einstein notation). The interpretation of first term in the rhs is clear; Is there any clear/simple interpretation for second term?!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2016 #2
    I guess I should name ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}##, ##a^i##:biggrin:.

4. Feb 6, 2016 #3

strangerep

Science Advisor

First, do you understand why the covariant derivative of a vector has 2 terms? (I.e., a partial derivative and a term involving ##\Gamma##) ?

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4
    Yeah, since the covariant derivative is a covariant :biggrin:. I think I was a bit confused when I asked this question :oops:. Anyway, do you know whether there is a particular name for the identity ##g^{jk}\Gamma^i{}_{jk}=\frac{-1}{\sqrt{g}}\partial_j(\sqrt{g}g^{ij})##?!

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5

strangerep

Science Advisor

No, I don't know a name.

BTW, for Riemannian geometry stuff involving indices, (which mathematicians usually hate), you can sometimes get more answers by asking in the relativity forum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook