Trouble understanding the proofs in Marion and Thorton

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation is about understanding proofs in Marion and Thorton's book, specifically in the section on product proofs in tensor notation. The person is having trouble with the switching of indices in the last part of an example on page 26. They also request a proof for \vec{A}\times \vec{B}=-\vec{b}\times \vec{A} using tensor summation notation and want to confirm if they are on the right track. Another person suggests writing out both sides of the equation using Levi-Civita symbol and keeping in mind its antisymmetry.
Winzer

Homework Statement

I am having trouble understanding the proofs in Marion and Thorton [Newest Edition]. The section where he goes through proof of products in tensor notation. An example is page 26 example 1.6. I don't get the switching of the indices on the very last part. Also can someone prove to me that [tex] \vec{A}\times \vec{B}=-\vec{b}\times \vec{A}[/tex] using tensor summation notation. Want to make sure I am doing it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure that this is the answer you are looking for, but I think you can just write out both sides of the equation using tensor notation (i.e. using the Levi-Civita symbol), and remember that Levi-Civita is antisymmetric.

1. Why is it important to understand proofs in Marion and Thorton?

Understanding proofs is important because it allows us to analyze and evaluate the validity of mathematical arguments and theories. It also helps in problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. What are some common challenges in understanding proofs in Marion and Thorton?

Some common challenges include complex language and notation, unfamiliar concepts, and the need for logical reasoning and deduction. The proofs may also require a good understanding of prerequisite mathematical concepts.

3. How can I improve my understanding of proofs in Marion and Thorton?

One way to improve understanding is to read the proofs multiple times, breaking them down into smaller steps and asking questions. It can also be helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or peer, practice solving similar problems, and use additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

4. Are there any tips for approaching proofs in Marion and Thorton?

Some tips include reading the entire proof before attempting to solve it, breaking the proof into smaller steps, and identifying key definitions and theorems used. It can also be helpful to work backwards from the conclusion or to try different approaches if one method is not working.

5. How can I know if I truly understand a proof in Marion and Thorton?

If you can explain the proof in your own words, identify the key steps and concepts, and apply them to solve similar problems, then you likely have a good understanding. It can also be helpful to check your solution against the provided answers or ask a teacher or peer for feedback.