I Trouble with infinity and complex numbers

• Thread starter Troxx
  • Start date
Summary
Trouble with infinity and complex numbers, just curious.
Summary: Trouble with infinity and complex numbers, just curious.

I'm not too familiar with set theory ... but <-∞, ∞> contains just real numbers?
Does something similar to <-∞, ∞> exist in Complex numbers?
My question, is it "wrong"?
1568033300436.png

.Scott

Homework Helper
Yup, using your nomenclature, it would be (<-∞, ∞>, <-∞, ∞>).
Or a+bi where a and b are real numbers.

But one item of caution: ∞ is not a number - real or otherwise.

Thanks...
And further.. when plotting functions with a imaginary axis... there can be more imaginary axis' than one I guess..

.Scott

Homework Helper
Thanks...
And further.. when plotting functions with a imaginary axis... there can be more imaginary axis' than one I guess..
If you are plotting a function with both a complex range and domain, you would need four dimensions: a+bi=f(c+di) - one each for a, b, c, and d with b and d being imaginary axis. Of course, drawing in four dimensions requires some creativity.

Thanks...
For complex numbers there is only one imaginary axis, for quarternions there are three and for octonions there are seven.

jbriggs444

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
If you are plotting a function with both a complex range and domain, you would need four dimensions: a+bi=f(c+di) - one each for a, b, c, and d with b and d being imaginary axis. Of course, drawing in four dimensions requires some creativity.
If you are going to build a graph, you need four dimensions for the domain and another two for the range.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
The thing is that there is a different way of "Approaching Infinity" as you have additional dimensions. In ##\mathbb R## , as you pointed out, you go along the +, - x-axis far right or left respectively. In , e.g., ## \mathbb R^2 ##, your set is unbounded if it is not contained in a ball of finite radius r. Similar in higher dimensions, where being contained in a ball of finite radius is equivalent to being bounded, while you "Go to infinity" by not being contained in balls of finite radius.

Last edited:
If you are going to build a graph, you need four dimensions for the domain and another two for the range.
Is this really what you meant? For a function ##f : \mathbb C \to \mathbb C##? You have an extra two dimensions. For the domain you need only two dimensions, not four.

For complex numbers it is better to add a single infinity to get the Riemann sphere.

WWGD

Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is a lot of material on compactifications of 1,2, etc points.

Delta2

Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
There is a way to "graph" a complex valued function similar to the way we graph a 2D vector field in just 2 dimensions. That is at every point of the domain (x,y) we plot an arrow which represents a vector that has its y-component equal to the Imaginary part of f(x+iy) and its x-component equal to the Real part of f(x+iy). I know this is not exactly a graph as we usually mean it but anyway..

Alternatively we can use 3 dimensions (where the z axis represent the real or the imaginary part of f(x+iy) )and do two graphs, one for the imaginary part and one for the real part.

jbriggs444

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Is this really what you meant? For a function ##f : \mathbb C \to \mathbb C##? You have an extra two dimensions. For the domain you need only two dimensions, not four.
Oops. I'd misread a function of two complex arguments.