Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble with needless of absolute value

1. Aug 13, 2014 #1
    mary.png Hi, while solving differential equations problems we have to sometimes use absolute value while
    taking an integral of which 1 over a function. But in some problems I understand that we do not
    have to use absolute value sign for example if the function related with atom number which can
    never be a negative number we do not have to use absolute value. But in the picture I added here there is no sign about physical meaning of the problem so I think we should use absolute value and so there should have to be two different answers. The second picture of handwritting is
    my other solution. The last one is a topic related with the problems. Have a nice day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Equation 2.8 certainly should be [itex]ln|y+ 1|= ln|x|+ cnst= ln|x|+ ln|a|= ln|ax|[/itex]

However, once we have gotten rid of the logarithms on both sides, we have y+ 1= ax, whether y, x, and a are positive or negative, and no longer need the absolute value signs.

4. Aug 13, 2014 #3
    But in this situation y +1 might be positive whereas ax might negative so y + 1 might equal to -ax which leads to two different equalities, isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  5. Aug 13, 2014 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, that can't happen. "a" is a constant determined by the initial value. If we are given an initial value [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] such that [itex]y_0+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] have the same sign, then a will be positive and y+ 1 and x will have the same sign for all x. If we are given an initial value [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] such that [itex]y_0+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] have opposite sign, then a is negative and y+1 and x will have opposite sign for all x. In either case, y+ 1 and ax will have the same sign

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook