Trouble with needless of absolute value

In summary, when solving differential equations, the use of absolute value signs may be necessary when taking integrals, but it is not always required. In cases where the function is related to a physical quantity that can never be negative, absolute value signs are not needed. However, in situations where the physical meaning is unclear, it may be necessary to use absolute value signs to avoid different answers. The use of absolute value signs can be eliminated once logarithms are removed and the signs of all variables are considered.
mech-eng
mary.png
Hi, while solving differential equations problems we have to sometimes use absolute value while
taking an integral of which 1 over a function. But in some problems I understand that we do not
have to use absolute value sign for example if the function related with atom number which can
never be a negative number we do not have to use absolute value. But in the picture I added here there is no sign about physical meaning of the problem so I think we should use absolute value and so there should have to be two different answers. The second picture of handwritting is
my other solution. The last one is a topic related with the problems. Have a nice day.

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 465
  • tra.png
    tra.png
    57.3 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Equation 2.8 certainly should be [itex]ln|y+ 1|= ln|x|+ cnst= ln|x|+ ln|a|= ln|ax|[/itex]

However, once we have gotten rid of the logarithms on both sides, we have y+ 1= ax, whether y, x, and a are positive or negative, and no longer need the absolute value signs.

HallsofIvy said:
Equation 2.8 certainly should be [itex]ln|y+ 1|= ln|x|+ cnst= ln|x|+ ln|a|= ln|ax|[/itex]

However, once we have gotten rid of the logarithms on both sides, we have y+ 1= ax, whether y, x, and a are positive or negative, and no longer need the absolute value signs.

But in this situation y +1 might be positive whereas ax might negative so y + 1 might equal to -ax which leads to two different equalities, isn't it?

Last edited:
No, that can't happen. "a" is a constant determined by the initial value. If we are given an initial value [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] such that [itex]y_0+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] have the same sign, then a will be positive and y+ 1 and x will have the same sign for all x. If we are given an initial value [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] such that [itex]y_0+ 1[/itex] and [itex]x_0[/itex] have opposite sign, then a is negative and y+1 and x will have opposite sign for all x. In either case, y+ 1 and ax will have the same sign

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the use of absolute value in solving differential equations. I understand your concern about the potential for different answers when using or not using absolute value.

The use of absolute value in differential equations is often necessary when dealing with certain functions that can have negative values. However, as you pointed out, there are cases where the physical meaning of the problem dictates that absolute value is not needed.

In the case of the problem you shared, without any indication of the physical meaning, it is important to consider all possibilities and use absolute value to ensure the most accurate solution. However, if the problem was related to a physical system where negative values are not possible, then the use of absolute value may not be necessary.

It is important to carefully consider the physical context of a problem when deciding whether or not to use absolute value. In some cases, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or mentor for their insights.

Overall, it is always important to double-check and make sure that the use of absolute value is appropriate for a given problem to avoid any potential errors. I hope this helps clarify the issue and I wish you all the best in your problem-solving endeavors. Have a great day.

1. What is the "Trouble with needless of absolute value"?

The "Trouble with needless of absolute value" refers to the common confusion and misconceptions surrounding the use and understanding of absolute value in mathematical equations.

2. Why is understanding absolute value important?

Understanding absolute value is important because it is a fundamental concept in mathematics and is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to represent the distance between two points on a number line and is also essential in solving equations and inequalities.

3. How do I simplify absolute value expressions?

To simplify an absolute value expression, you need to remove the absolute value bars and replace the expression inside with its positive value. For example, |x| can be simplified to x if x is positive, and -x if x is negative.

4. What are some common mistakes when working with absolute value?

Some common mistakes when working with absolute value include forgetting to consider both the positive and negative solutions, incorrectly simplifying absolute value expressions, and mixing up the order of operations.

5. How can I improve my understanding of absolute value?

To improve your understanding of absolute value, it is important to practice solving various equations and inequalities involving absolute value. You can also check your work and seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are still struggling with the concept.