1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Troubles learning Quantum field theory.

1. Jan 26, 2014 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm having a lot of troubles learning QFT, personally I find it very challenging, besides that my professor has a very difficult accent and given that I'm not an English native speaker it is really hard for me to follow him. I would like to hear your experience learning QFT, Was it hard? I just want to hear your experience when you first encounter with this wonderful branch of physics.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

From my experience, lectures on QFT seem easy and understandable... because everything appears so normal and beautiful let us say....
    The problem is when you have to do homeworks- then you understand that nothing is so obvious and a lot of calculations are tedious... eg several times I find myself saying "well at this point, if I've done one mistake it's over, I'll never find where"

I'm not so sure that this topic belongs here (??)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  4. Jan 26, 2014 #3
    I found QFT lectures to be challenging at times. This is mainly because I didn't have time to review the notes or read the textbook before the next class. If I forgot what was discussed in the last class I usually found the current lecture hard to follow. I took good notes though so when I finally got around to catching up on the material I was able to make sense of it all.

This is just my personal experience. Is your professor following a book or is it his own notes?

5. Jan 27, 2014 #4
    My professor is following Srednicki's Quantum Field Theory. I find it very nice nevertheless sometimes is not so great. I think that nowadays we are very lucky to have so many sources of books and learning material in the internet. For instance, I think that Peskin (Introduction to QFT) thogether with Srednicki make a awesame combination to learn QFT.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook