Troubling frictional force problems

In summary: If the crate is just about to move then N = uNcos15 where u=0.5Therefore: Tsin15 = mg-uNcos15=mg-0.5Tcos15T= 2mg/3cos15 = 300N (to 2 s.f)In summary, the first problem involves a 68 kg crate being dragged across a floor at a 15 degree angle to the ground. The minimum tension needed to start the crate's motion is 300 N, which can be obtained by considering the upward force from the rope and reducing the normal force and frictional force. This is represented by Tsin15 = mg-uNcos15, where u is the static friction coefficient
OVB
The first problem says that a 68 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling a rope at a 15 degree angle to the ground.

1. If the static friction coefficient is 0.5, what is the minimum tension needed to start the crate's motion?

I did Tcos15 = 0.5(mg) and got 344.95, but my book says 300 N

2. If kinetic frictional coefficient is 0.35, what is the magnitude of the initial crate's acceleration?

I did Tcos15 - 0.35mg = ma and got 1.5, but the book says 1.3 m/s/s

The second problem has a mass A weighing 44 N connected to a pulley (no friction or mass). The pulley connects to a mass B (weighing 22 N) in perependicular to the mass A (B is hanging off the side fo the table). There is a weight for C that will keep the combined A + C mass from sliding if the static friction coeff. is 0.2 (I got that part, it's 66 N). The next part asks:

If mass C is suddenly lifted off A, what is the acceleration of block A if the kinetic frictional coefficient between A and the table is 0.15?

I did 22 N - (.15)(44N) = Ma where M = 4.49 kg and got 3.4 m/s/s, but hte book says it is 2.3...

The last difficulty I have has to do with the difference between static and kinetic friction when a force is directed at an angle. If a mass has a downward force acted upon at a certain angle (in my case I am referring to a force vector in the fourth quadrant, with theta between the third quadrantal line and the force vector) I can easily find the kinetic friction by doing Fsin8 - (Uk)(Fcos8 + mg) = 0 where 8 represents theta. I know this because the perpendicular force component in this case is Fcos8, so the combined actual weight plus the applied force is equal to the normal force. However, for static frictional force, it seems that for some reason all is done (according to my book) that Fsin8 = (Us)(Fcos8). Why is the mg actual weight not accounted for in this calculation for the normal force?

I know this is a lot to ask for, but if I even got piecewise feedback that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
OVB said:
The first problem says that a 68 kg crate is dragged across a floor by pulling a rope at a 15 degree angle to the ground.

1. If the static friction coefficient is 0.5, what is the minimum tension needed to start the crate's motion?

I did Tcos15 = 0.5(mg) and got 344.95, but my book says 300 N

It appears you have neglected the upward force on the crate from the rope. This reduces the normal force and hence the frictional force. If you fix this problem here, you can probably do the other questions.

but how does this do that? I know it's a rule, but in terms of vectors how does it make sense? I draw the upward force vector and the normal force vector together; I know the net force is the difference between the two, but why aren't the vectors added?Thanks for the help though.

OVB said:
but how does this do that? I know it's a rule, but in terms of vectors how does it make sense? I draw the upward force vector and the normal force vector together; I know the net force is the difference between the two, but why aren't the vectors added?

Thanks for the help though.
They are. Tsin 15 + N =mg;
N=mg-Tsin15

1. What causes frictional force?

Frictional force is caused by the interaction between two surfaces that are in contact with each other. The force arises due to irregularities on the surfaces that create resistance when they move against each other.

2. How does frictional force affect motion?

Frictional force can either increase or decrease the speed of an object in motion, depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause objects to come to a stop if the force is strong enough to overcome the object's momentum.

3. Can frictional force be reduced or eliminated?

While it is impossible to completely eliminate frictional force, it can be reduced through various methods such as lubrication, using smoother surfaces, or reducing the weight or pressure on the surfaces in contact.

4. How does the type of surface affect frictional force?

The type of surface can greatly affect the amount of frictional force generated. Rougher surfaces tend to have higher amounts of friction, while smoother surfaces have lower amounts. The type of material also plays a role, as some materials have a higher coefficient of friction than others.

5. Are there any real-life applications of frictional force?

Frictional force has numerous real-life applications, such as in braking systems for vehicles, grip on tires, and walking on surfaces. It also helps us to grip and hold objects, and without it, we would not be able to move or perform many daily tasks.