Truck brakes and the distance they travel

Now solve for d.In summary, the truck brakes can fail if they get too hot, but in some mountainous areas, ramps of loose gravel are constructed to stop runaway trucks. These ramps have a slight upward slope and a large coefficient of friction, which safely brings the truck to a halt. Using the equations E=0.5mv2, Work=Fd, and Ffriction = μmgcosθ, where θ is the angle of the ramp, a length of ramp can be found that will stop a 15222.0 kg truck traveling at 37.0 m/s. By equating the work and energy equations, and taking into account the truck's gain in gravitational potential energy, the equation becomes 0
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

Truck brakes can fail if they get too hot. In some mountainous areas, ramps of loose gravel are constructed to stop runaway trucks that have lost their brakes. The combination of a slight upward slope and a large coefficient of friction in the gravel brings the truck safely to a halt. Suppose a gravel ramp slopes upward at 7.90° and the coefficient of friction is 0.380. Find the length of a ramp that will stop a 15222.0 kg truck that enters the ramp at 37.0 m/s.

Homework Equations

E=0.5mv2
Work= Fd
Ffriction = [tex]\mu[/tex]mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

i equated the work equation to the energy one to form Fd=0.5mv2. for F I substituted this equation :
Ffriction = [tex]\mu[/tex]mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] and solved for distance... and I'm not getting the answer would love any help given thanks :))

Physics news on Phys.org
brunettegurl said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i equated the work equation to the energy one to form Fd=0.5mv2. for F I substituted this equation :
Ffriction = [tex]\mu[/tex]mgcos[tex]\vartheta[/tex] and solved for distance... and I'm not getting the answer would love any help given thanks :))

The truck also gains some gravitational PE, which has to be taken into account.

so would the equation look like Fd= 0.5mv2+ mgh ?? what would h be equal to ??

brunettegurl said:
so would the equation look like Fd= 0.5mv2+ mgh ?? what would h be equal to ??

A slight modification.

1/2*m*v2 is your energy budget.

m*g*h will be what goes to gravity

μ*m*g*cos7.90°*d is what goes to friction

Sin7.90° = h/d

h = d*sin7.90°

Last edited:
so then wld the overall equation look like ::0.5mv2+mgdsin28.5 = μmgcos28.5d?

brunettegurl said:
so then wld the overall equation look like ::0.5mv2+mgdsin28.5 = μmgcos28.5d?

Not quite.

It's conservation of energy. Put yourself in the instant the truck starts up the ramp.

What is the total energy? I know you know it's 1/2*m*v2

Now consider what happens to that energy by the time it stops.

Some goes to the friction of the lovely gravel. Call that Work of Friction. And some goes to increasing the gravitational potential.

KE = PE_g + W_friction

LowlyPion said:
μ*m*g*cos28.5*d is what goes to friction

Sin28.5 = h/d

h = d*sin28.5

Err...what is 28.5? Am I missing something very obvious? :redface:

Shooting Star said:
Err...what is 28.5? Am I missing something very obvious? :redface:

Why yes. Something very obvious.

You are missing that this is the angle in another problem that I had helped with elsewhere and unnecessarily carried into this one through total carelessness, in not just writing θ or double checking to see what the θ of this incline was.

Thanks for the catch.

I'll fix it immediately to minimize further confusion.

k i just want to make sure my form is right ::

0.5*m*v2 = mgdsin7.90 + μmgcos7.90*d ... does that look right??

brunettegurl said:
k i just want to make sure my form is right ::

0.5*m*v2 = mgdsin7.90 + μmgcos7.90*d ... does that look right??

Yes. That looks good.

1. How does the weight of a truck affect the distance it takes to stop?

The weight of a truck has a significant impact on the distance it takes to stop. The heavier the truck, the more momentum it has, and the longer it will take to come to a complete stop. This is why trucks with heavier loads require more distance to stop compared to empty trucks.

2. What factors determine the stopping distance of a truck?

Several factors determine the stopping distance of a truck, including its weight, speed, road conditions, and brake condition. The weight and speed of the truck affect its momentum, while road conditions, such as wet or icy roads, can decrease the friction between the tires and the road, making it harder to stop. The condition of the truck's brakes also plays a crucial role in its stopping distance.

3. How do air brakes work in a truck?

Air brakes in a truck work by using compressed air to activate the brake shoes or pads, which then applies pressure to the wheels, slowing them down. When the driver presses the brake pedal, it releases air from the compressor, which in turn applies pressure to the brake shoes, bringing the truck to a stop.

4. What is the average stopping distance for a fully loaded truck?

The average stopping distance for a fully loaded truck is around 100-150 feet at a speed of 55 mph. However, this can vary depending on the factors mentioned above, such as weight, speed, and road conditions. It is essential for truck drivers to always maintain a safe following distance to account for the longer stopping distance of their vehicles.

5. How often should truck brakes be inspected and maintained?

Truck brakes should be inspected and maintained regularly, following the guidelines set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). This includes daily inspections by the truck driver, as well as regular maintenance and repairs by a certified mechanic. It is crucial to keep truck brakes in good condition to ensure the safety of the driver, other motorists, and the cargo being transported.